Anything to read into all Apple deals ending Sept. 25?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jsw, Jul 29, 2004.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Anything in particluar to read into the fact that Cram and Jam, the Edit Like a Pro promo, the printer deal, and the .Mac deal all end on September 25th?

Is that when the iMacs will start shipping?

Speculation is useless, I know. It just seems odd so many promos all end at the same time.

2. jsulens macrumors member

today in the apple store one of the workers was telling someone else how he was willing to bet that apple ships a new powerbook g5 at the end of sept. i dont know how serious he was but it was still something to take note of.

3. rareflares macrumors regular

"Anything in particluar to read into the fact that Cram and Jam, the Edit Like a Pro promo, the printer deal, and the .Mac deal all end on September 25th?"

I think that just signifies the end of the back-to-school promotions for Apple.

4. Sogo macrumors 6502

Bolded for truth.

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Could be the projected shipping date for any or all new products announced at Expo Paris...

Or, as others have speculated, could be just end of back to school promos...

6. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

mmmhm

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I think that its possible for the 60gig ipod to be released and an upgraded .mac account with more features as well. A much larger idisk would get me to consider it again. :p

8. rareflares macrumors regular

that's actually pretty plausible. I pretty much know for a fact they aren't updating any Powerbooks at that time but what you said makes good enough sense since the 60 GB iPod is conspicuously missing and .Mac definitely needs an improvement.

9. djkny macrumors 6502

That worker is a fool and should be sued for giving a false statment.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well he only got overheard saying that. Its not like he said that to his (a customer's) face.

But anyway, these deals always end around now, and people always ask to see if it means anything, and it never does. Last year the Laptop + iPod deal ended on September 27th. It was just like any other day.

11. jphoenix macrumors member

12. win_convert macrumors member

I wonder why it is that all of these "back to school specials" all happen when the bottom half of the world (australia) is still hard at work in the second semester? Why can't we have a back to school promotion in december?

13. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I understand that it's near the end of the quarter (the last Saturday of the quarter). I guess that Apple ends all specials on the last Saturday of the quarter. It therefore would be the end of the back-to-school specials, but three out of four aren't back-to-school, although of course students might use them.

I've never paid much attention to specials except when I'm buying, and they rarely seem to help. I just saw all of these at once in an email. Had it been September 30th, it would have clicked. The 25th seemed like an odd day, until I noticed that it was the last Saturday of the quarter.

At least now I know not to buy after that last Saturday any quarter until the new specials are announced!

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That sounds very plausible that it's the end of a quarter. The way Apple usually does it's announcements, we should find out on September 26th.

Also the free ProCare Card offer for current owners of a Pro Card ends on July 31st.

15. smurphur macrumors member

Last year new powerbooks were announced on 9/16/2003(i.e. RevB) and iBooks were announced on 10/22/2003, iMacs were announced on 9/8/2003, new iPods were announced on 9/8/2003 as well. Though none of those releases exactly match up to the 9/27 date you stated, I don't see why it can't be looked at as a way to get rid of a lot of extra stock of old equipment.

Of course we all know new iMacs are on the way.
    iPods just got updated, though maybe a 60gb is on the way.
    Powerbooks and iBooks... who knows.
    I personally would not wait on a new powerbook being released after the deal is gone. Anything that goes into the new powerbook won't be a huge increase in speed or features to make it worth not saving $200 on an iPod. Unless of course you already have an iPod.