Anyway of Downloading..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by billabong_mac, Aug 17, 2004.

1. billabong_mac macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm a Mac Newbie. I recently got a G3 iMac, blueberry off of eBay. The specs are: 350 mhz, 96mb, 6gb. And I'm stuck with OS 8.6 I was wondering if there was anyway (and I know you've all probably heard this alot :eek: ) Is there anyway to download OS 9 or OS X? OS 8.6 is great, but its kind of getting annoying. I've tried LimeWire and I've downloaded various stuff but nothing seems to work. Thanks! :cool:

2. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

That would be getting into Piracy by downloading those things...

One of the members may have some OS X discs laying around.... I have a complete install of 10.2 if you'd like it I can send it to you $15 shipped. Otherwise ebay or some other place will definately have the discs you need. Good luck and happy hunting!

3. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

^^ This is probably the best deal you will find for OS X Disc's, even if it is Jaguar and not Panther. If I were you...take it as your other method is not legal.

Mike

4. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Mac OS costs money. Do NOT expect to be given help for downloading it. Buy it instead.

5. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Mac OS 8.6 has its place, but to run OS9 and OSX, I recommend that you purchase a faster HDD and more ram (512 at-least, if you can afford it), and I also recommend that you look on Ebay for OS 9 discs, especially if you want to run older applications that won't run under OSX. Your iMac will run Panther (again look on Ebay for discs) but don't expect it to be overly fast (I have the previous model iMac to yours, and although it runs, it is tediously slow, and now it is rarely used. Welcome to the Mac world, and I hope you get your iMac up and running, as they are really good computers, possibly the best Apple ever made.

6. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Are you sure if you want to go up to mac os x? I would think that it would be extremely slow. Some old imacs in my school had to be updated to mac os x along with the newer macs and they became quite slow. I would definetly max out the ram regardless of what you choose to do with the operating system.
    Also, I think that its illegal to download mac os x? Some of the macrumors members (not always admin or mods) takes this stuff quite seriously.

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

On that sort of spec I'd guess Mac OS X to be rather slow. Yellow dog Linux would probably run quite well on that sort of spec and would be more reliable than anything pre-OS X when it comes to multitasking/stability. Of course it would be Linux and you'd be a niche market within a niche market so you'd have to find your own way around....

If I had an lower end imac YDL would be my first choice....

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I have this problem, I have a old Powermac 7300 beige thing running OS 8.0 but would really like OS 9 but Apple in their infinate wisdom have stopped selling it and any OS 9 > 9.0 won't install on this machine, surely they should offer it as abandonware or make it downloadable? they wont be loosing any money on it.

9. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

His machine would be fine for OSX with more RAM, I have a B&W G3 350MHz at home, and it's fine running Panther.

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've got an ibook running at twice the speed and with three times the memory and it's slow. OS X will run on a 350MHz G3 but after using OS 8 it's gonna seem like it's running in glue.

One advantage is that he could run YDL as his main OS but use OS X in a window using Mac-On-Linux with little slow down. He'd then get a fairly zippy OS most of the time and OS X when he needs to run something OS X only....

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've used OS X on G3s running at 233 and 333mhz and it's really not that bad. It all depends on what you want to do though. Those computers I mentioned are used for web, email, word processing, etc and they're great. They'll run things like Photoshop CS, but I wouldn't recommend it.

For the original poster, if you can live with OS 9 do it. It will keep your life a little simpler. If you really want OS X, you'll have to buy it, buy more RAM, and I'd suggest a new hard drive as well since 6GB will fill up pretty fast these days.

If you buy that stuff you'll run OS X decently. You'll also spend around $300. Now how much did you pay for the computer in the first place? That's why I say you should stick with what you've got if you can.

12. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Incase you are still interested in downloading OS 9 I just wanted to let you know that it would not actually be considered Piracy. In the DMCA any software considered obsolete is no longer protected under it. Since Apple has plublicly stated that OS 9 is an obsolete piece of software it is not longer under copyright Protection. Therefore you could download it without reprocutions. That being said I would not however recomend using OS 9 because it is obsolete. As others have said that machine will run OS X but I would definatily upgrade the RAM and put a faster hard drive in it.

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Do you have evidence to back that up?

14. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Please disregard this information that I posted, The information was taken from an unreliable source. My appologies.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

newer versions of ydl are not free :\
    i've had better luck with gentoo, debian, and crux, among other ppc linux distros...pick and choose among the ones at penguinppc.org
    and gentoo has a rather nice ppc community...and pvdabeel is a genius...:p

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

17. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

YDL 3.0.1 ISOs are on an awful lot of mirrors and indeed from ydls ftp server. Maybe the new version 4.0 won't be. You're right about Gentoo having a good user community. I used to use Gentoo on x86 before switching. The ppc crowd there seem pretty helpful though it might be a little hardcore for a first time Linux user!