anyway of having thumbnails in tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dvdiva, May 26, 2005.

1. dvdiva macrumors member

I have some photos from vacations and was wondering if there is any way to view the pictures in the folders as thumbnails. Windows xp does this and I am trying to lessen my usage of windows as a whole. Hoping for some way of doing this within 10.4 without a third party app but any way of controlling the size of the thumbnails would be nice.

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

well to do it in panther at least all you need to do is click on the gear symbol < show view options < show icon preview, also changing icon size is done via the slider at the top.

it might be different in tiger but I hope this helps.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you currently work in 'column' view, then you may need to switch to 'icon' view in the finder to get the options to resize the thumbnails. It's the button with 4 smaller boxes arranged in a square. Flip back to list or column view when you're done.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, open FINDER, go to the VIEW menu at the top, and select "Icon". :)

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When in Icons view you can increase the icon size up to 128x128, which is more than enough for any thumbnails. I'm quite happy at 96x96... ;)

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Just remember this keyboard sequence.

With a finder window in focus, press Command+1, then press Command+J.

Select "Show Icon Preview" and drag the slider to set the size of the icons.

7. kent_ridge macrumors newbie

I'm in the "icon" view but then my files don't show the thumbnails. The file has "jpg" written on it instead of showing the picture.

8. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It's probably not exactly what you want, but in Tiger you can select a bunch of image files, control click to show a contextual menu, then choose "Slideshow". Once the slideshow starts, you can move the mouse to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Index Sheet" button (the icon with 4 rectangles), which will show an Exposé type view of the images.

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I'm also not sure about Tiger (I assume it's the same, though), but in Panther this option can be set differently for particular folders, or the same throughout the system. Make sure that you haven't changed the settings for one specific folder, and then tried to view icons in another.

10. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Just as an aside I tried this, selected a bunch of jpgs in a folder, right-clicked and selected Slideshow. Zip happened. Is there anything else I need to do?
    Vanilla

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Some picture files created by some programs will refuse to show the icon preview. I've noticed that occurring with some particular types of image files. I say some because it happened on some rare occasions, but I forget the offending programs.

12. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Nope- it's SUPPOSED to show a slide show when you do that. I noticed this too though- When I first got tiger I tried it, and it worked great (contact sheet is kick ass) but then two days later I tried it again and it didn't work. I've installed 10.4.1 and it has been working since, but it seems like there may be some issues with this.

Maybe try force quitting and relaunching finder.

13. winwintoo macrumors 6502

This works!!

When you have this dialog box open, read ALL the options and make sure you have the appropriate ones checked. It fixed the *problem* for me.

Thanks Lacero, I've been suffering in silence with this agravation for a long time :(

Margaret

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It should show a slideshow and icon view should show previews.

You've definitely gone into icon view, chosen view options from the 'gear' menu and ticked on 'Show Icon View'?

There is another way to make your image icons stop being generic. If the file was created on a Mac (from scratch or as a save as), Photoshop/Elements etc will create a thumbnail automatically which will show as your icon in any view (obviously pretty small in column view).

There is a bit of freeware called Pinki which will create these thumbnails for you. You just highlight the image files and click on Pinki in the menu bar. These images will then have the thumbnail as their icon rather than the default jpg. The additional benefit of this is you'll also see them in open/save dialogues so it's easier to identify things.

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

or if you want thumbnails for your videos, open the video and find a frame you want to use as the thumbnail. take a screenshot of the play window (hold down apple+control+shift+4 then drag a box round the movie.. a shutter will sound to let you know it worked).

now go back to finder and do apple+i to bring the info pallete up and click on the icon in the top left of the pallete. apple+v will paste your screen shot into the icon. now when you look in finder you got thumbnails of your videos - this is one feature i missed greatly from XP. That and instant slideshows - which look like they are included in Tiger now anyway :D

that process looks harder than it is!

16. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Hi
    So just to let you know force quitting finder did the trick. cheers!
    Vanilla

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well it would be nice if this would be fixed in future versions. My finder still seems much more unstable than it was in Panther. It's crashed multiple times after 'showing package contents' on widgets.