Anyway of using PCI on mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NightLord, Apr 30, 2006.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

I have a PC running windows which has a Creative Audigy 2 ZS with an external I/O hub attached. I would love to be able to use this card on my mac mini to use my guitar and bass etc with garageband.

I know the mini doesn't have PCI ports, but is there anything I can do for this? Such as a PCI-USB Adaptor or something like that.

If not, is there anyway of using the I/O hub from it using just the firewire connector? Since I tried it, and OS X recognised the device, but didn't know what it was.

Any help here would be appreciated.

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

No, unfortunately there is no way to get it to work. Strictly speaking, there is a custom external PCI enclosure unit (at a cost of several hundreds of dollars), but all this does is allow the Mac to detect the PCI_EN string and then do nothing, as the device isn't supported by OS X in any way, shape, or form.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The Creative hub won't do you any good without its companion card. You are better to bite the bullet and buy a USB or Firewire interface, if you want to record guitar and bass directly (not through a Line6 Pod or some other amp simulator) than look for an interface that has a high impedence input that is designed for guitar.