Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
The amount aside, I'm in CA too and just think it's BS on principle alone. If we are paying $299 or $199, that's what we should be taxed on imo. It's just ridiculous.

Sadly I don't feel quite strongly enough about it to not get the iPhone 4 or drive to another state. LOL

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I'm going to buy the 32gb and don't like to pay the unsubsidized tax of $68.15 (in orange county) Bringing the total cost of the new iPhone 4 to $367.15

First and foremost I think that is just bs that some of us have to pay that much sales tax for a subsidized phone. Is there an out of CA state retailer that sells the iphone?

I know I will have to pay taxes either way with:
Apple Store
AT&T
Radioshack
Best Buy
Wal Mart

or with any of those retailers above can I pay tax on the subsidized price?

You do know that sales taxes pay for the roads you drive on and such.

Steve

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
This is from the Tax section on the Apple website:

"In accordance with state and local law, your Apple Online Store purchases will be taxed using the applicable sales tax or seller’s use tax rate for your shipping address. The tax listed during checkout is only an estimate. In California, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island, sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of the iPhone."

http://store.apple.com/us/help/payments?mco=MTM3NDgzMzQ

jpep

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
If you live in Cali they will charge the tax based on the full amount!
Last year my 3gs 16 Gb. $199 plus tax on the $599 taxable unit value. Total I paid is $254.41. I will pay the same for the Iphone 4

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
One of the great things about Wisconsin, and believe me, they're limited, is the 5.5% sales tax.
Other Things include The Packers, #1 in Alcoholism (if drinking is your thing), Chris Farley's home, Jeffrey Dahmer (if serial killers are your thing) and The Packers :)

Blonde Buddhist

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Ok what do you think will happen with this. I moved to claifornia from las vegas last september but I never changed my phone # with at&t. So when I go to upgrade won't it use the las vegas phone # for the upgrade thus not charge me the california tax. I hope.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Ok what do you think will happen with this. I moved to claifornia from las vegas last september but I never changed my phone # with at&t. So when I go to upgrade won't it use the las vegas phone # for the upgrade thus not charge me the california tax. I hope.

Tax is based on either your shipping or billing address, not your phone number. Nice try.:cool:

kryten3000

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Ecuador (Cotopaxi)
if you are very intent on not paying the tax, I suggest that you make the purchase through proxy. Have someone buy the item for you in a different state and then mail it to you in California.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I know the sales tax isn't fun, but it really isn't ludicrous to pay your state the taxes that they demand. You're paying like $30-40 more than the average person. Get over it. I lived in CA for 8 years, and am visiting in just a few weeks, and it's really inane to concoct a subterfuge to avoid paying higher taxes.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Hmmm, wonder what total price will be for me here in NC. I bought 3gs before but I can't remember what total price was.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Aren't religious institutions exempt from taxes when purchasing products? I remember a few years back, I was building my rabbi's office at the temple and he gave me a tax-exempt form to pick up a computer from CompUSA for him.

I'm sure if you do a favor for a Catholic pedophile priest, he'll return the favor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.