Anyway to bargain with Apple to reduce cost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2005
    I was wondering if Apple, like Dell and other companies, lets you bargain with them to reduce the price a little bit (like by 50-100 dollars) if you talk to them. If so, what advice do you have, how did you go about doing it, who did you talk to (online purchase/phone/Apple Store).

Need to save as much money as possible!

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow to get the 12 inch iBook.
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
  3. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    ROTLMAO! Whoa man, that's funny stuff. Bargain with Apple? They're like the terminator. They can't be reasoned with....

Seriously though, the only ways to get a break (off the top of my head): edu/ADC discount, rebates, or their $30-40 coupons.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I heard from someone that works at an apple store that they keep some older computers whenever a new revision comes out and they sell them at a discount. It was like $400 of a 17-inch powerbook (that's the computer I was looking for at the time). You might want to see if they have any older iBooks. Maybe they'll give you $100-150 off.
  6. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
  7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    There are people that have put PowerBooks and stuff into their shopping cart. Then, a few days later , if you haven't ordered, they call you.

I remember the guy said they were willing to give $50~ish off.

If that don't work, the Apple EDU store and the refurbs. aww yea.
  8. misterman8 macrumors member

Jul 18, 2005

I don't know if this helps, but I was actually offered a discount on the phone this afternoon:

I am going to grad school in London this fall, so I called to order an iBook. I was trying to get the educational discount for a school in the UK but buy a US computer (I'd rather have the US plug and DVD region). Of course they won't do that because, well I guess they are just big fat jerks. To get the ed discount I would have to buy it in the UK at their inflated prices and then the discount doesn't really matter. So the guy on the phone said that he could "meet me half way" on the discount which works out to be $50. It sucks though because I can't get the student rebate on an iPod or the student version of office, or the student discount on anything else. I am looking at a few other options before I go ahead and take the "discount."

So anyway, enough of my ranting, they must be authorized in some way to "bargain." Good luck!
  9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    Well my two cousins and I are all going to Uni in september and we're all going to buy iBooks. Do you think an order of 3 will warrant some kind of discount?!
  10. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    Well, if you have a nice sizable order its pretty easy to bargain for free expedited shipping. But that is all I know for what you can bargain for.
  11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Buy them from the HE Education shop from a computer connected to your Uni's network, you'll get a much better EDU discount.

It means you'll have to wait a bit, but it's worth it.
  12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

they actually wanted to sell me the student/teacher version at the apple store in boston without ID. you also can order the student version from a dealer on ebay. they ever ask for student ID's. the question is if that is legal :confused: .
    after all you are a student and the student edition is limited anyway (cannot be upgraded).

i have the feeling that MS in that case simply doesn't care.
  13. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    If you're fat, ugly and hairy, go into an Apple store wearing only a hand towel wrapped pathetically around your waist.

Then say to the manager "I want a good deal off a Mac. If I you dont then I'll have to resort to extreme measures."

That should work, or you might get arrested.
  14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    If you buy in quantities of 1000 units, I image they'd knock a fiver off for you :eek: :p
  15. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    Once again, basicly the only thing you can do asside from edu discounts and existing promotions is to get free expedited shipping.
  16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    There is an Apple Store for Business which offers some breaks on Volume Software purchases.

The volume hardware purchase is probably still around, but much harder to find.

Of course the breaks/deals may now only come in the finance end with the Apple's Commercial Credit programs.

Should be interesting to see how Dell does with their credit operation, now that they are taking it in-house -- this is what screwed up Gateway and led to some rather nasty losses and SEC probes.