anyway to change font or font size of finder?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by howard, Mar 6, 2004.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

been thinking lately, i don't really like the look of the finder..as far as the insides go...don't get me wrong i like the brushed metal and i LOVE the left sidebar...but its to big..

i actually like the look of the inside of the os9 finder the best...

anyway, is there an easy way to change the font or font size or customize that area of os x? and i don't mean skins that slow your computer down...

one of the reasons is i need it smaller, on my ibook i don't have much screen realestate. thanks for your help!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You can change the text size in each window by going to the View menu -> Show View Options. There you can select a size from 10 to 16 (default 12). If you're using icon view then you can also change the icon size here.

For the sidebar, font size is automatic. As it gets more items in it, each item gets smaller (both horizontally and vertically). So, the more items you have in the sidebar, the thinner it needs to be to see the full names.

Another alternative if you're pushed for space is the toolbar button. In each Finder window, there is a small icon on the top right of the window above the search field. This toggles the sidebar and toolbar on and off.

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I feel the lack of interface control is one of the downfalls of osx. 9 was great because you could make window and system fonts any size you wanted pretty much. one thing I really hate is the size of the fonts in the right click menu because even at 1920x1440 they look far too big.

thats a good quaestion... any way to change the right click menu size?

5. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

No, the menu font (aka System font) cannot be changed (without third party software). It is always Lucida Grande Regular 13 pt.

This is not necessary a bad thing though. Developers are able to rely on it always being the same, and in that way are able to design their interfaces more easily, and more precisely, because they know how much space things will take up.

If anyone's interested, more information on the various system fonts can be found on page 197 of the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines (June 2002 version). This is on the Developer CD included with Panther. Once installed, it can be found at Developer/Documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AquaHIGuidelines/AquaHIGuidelines.pdf