Anyway to Duplicate User Accounts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GimmeSlack12, Jul 27, 2006.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would like to have another User account setup. But I really don't want to bother with setting the account up (aside from making a new name and whatnot).

Anyway I can just duplicate my Admin (current) account, and make the duplicated account a non-admin user? This would be neat if possible.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could just copy folders from one account to another. If you copy the Preferences folder too, you should retain a lot of your customised settings. :)

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ehh, I've tried copyting things over before, and it is not as neat as it sounds. Copying the preferences file transfers none of my settings and is way more trouble than it is worth. Oh well, at least I got iTunes and iPhoto sharing alright. Guess over time I'll tweak things.

I only want another user account for the times when my computer will get high traffic use (controlling music and other stuff). So it isn't a big deal.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. I know what you mean but in theory, if you copy certain folders into their equivalent spots on a new account, it should work just fine.

What do you mean exactly? :)