Anyway to hook up NON thunderbolt Macbook Pro to Thunderbolt display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aluminum213, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Aluminum213

I have a mid 2010 MBP as you can see in my sig and will very likely get a Thunderbolt display when the new redesign shows up. Is there any chord that will be able to hook a non thunderbolt Mac to this thing?

I am getting a new retina Macbook pro when the refresh arrives this summer but was wondering if I had to wait till then to do it

2. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Sorry, but there is no way to do this. You can connect the old DisplayPort based Cinema Display to a TB equipped Mac, but not vice versa.

3. macrumors 6502a

Short answer is no. Long answer is probably but will not be cost effective and cumbersome to use (you would need another computer with TB equipped).

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

Aluminum213

darn, thanks for the answers

guess I have to wait till June (or whenever the new 15" retina comes out)

5. firmansolutions, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

macrumors member

firmansolutions

There is an adapter that allows you to connect your Macbook with the larger size display port (about 10mm wide) rather than the mini display port that is the same size as the new thunderbolt port.

However, it is pricey (about £75).

Here it is on Amazon. My daughter used it for about 12 months from an old white Macbook (about 2006 model) into a 24" cinema display.

I would hope it would work with a Thunderbolt monitor but I cant test it as dont have the old white macbook anymore (I think I had better dig mine out and sell it on eBay :)).

Contact Kanex as they may tell you if it is compatible with the Thunderbolt displays.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanex-Cinema-Display-24-inch-27-inch/dp/B004HW67TK

http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-C247d-Display-24-Inch-27-Inch/dp/B004HW67TK

Cheers
    Eric

Just had a bit more a of think and look and as the cinema display have separate USB and mini display port cables (USB handles audio I think), then this probably wont work with Thunderbolt displays as this is all combined into one cable.

6. macrumors 68040

Giuly

Cinema Display has a Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt display has a Thunderbolt port, although the plug looks the same.

7. michelg1970, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

macrumors regular

michelg1970

I thought TB was 100% compatible with mini display port?

I do it the other way around: connect my TB MacBook Pro via the TB port to a non-TB display.

Of course you would loose the USB and Ethernet port functionality of the TB display since the cable would only forward the video (and audio?) signal.

--- STRIKE THAT ---

Just googled your case: it only works downward: from TB enabled Mac to non-TB display. Not the other way around. No way. Never. Sorry.