Anyway to play Starcraft without the CD?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Khaosphere, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Khaosphere macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2007
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the mac world (just got a macbook 2gh/2gb, and I love it) and to this site. My question is can I play my copy of starcraft without the cd? I hate to carry it around. Can anyone explain to me how to do this, as I mentioned I am new to mac machines and am not all that familiar with the interface and applications. Thanks in advance.
  2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    Under OS X it's a little tricky but if you can get hold of a stripped to the bone disc image of the game it will allow you to play without the cd. I have no idea on how to strip a disc image myself to allow it to enter the game but I know it's possible. I had one for frozen throne back in the day.

DO you know how to make a .dmg, that would be the first step to achieving your goal.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Try the instructions here, following the edits at the bottom as well.

Works for WCIII. Might work for StarCraft as well.
  4. Xenesis macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    As long as you image the Session, and not the Volume it should work.
  5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2006
    Check to see if the vendor of Virtual Disk makes a Mac compatible version. I only use my Windows machine at home for games so this software is ideal under Windows, but I haven't ever seen a Mac version. Perhaps a search for Virtual Disk programs would be helpful for you. I find that creating a virtual disk on your hard drive is much more reliable than trying to make an actual copy of the CD and doesn't violate the spirit of the copyright laws.
  6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Use the Disk Utility "copy session", then just mount the image.

If that doesn't work, then Toast'll go one step further by making your Mac think there's an actual disk in the actual drive
  7. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    maybe you can create a cd image of it under daemon tools?