Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So I just got a dedicated external DAC to run the optical from my airport express to.

Now in iTunes whenever I start a song when there hasn't been anything playing for a few seconds I get the "No speakers are connected" message and the song starts playing anyway, but its really annoying because I have to click 'OK' every time.

I know what is happening - the airport express stops running any digital signal when no music has been playing for a while, my DAC starts cycling through its inputs to check for a live signal, and then when I press play again it takes a moment for the airport express and the DAC to sync up and start playing.

I don't have to press play twice, I just press play, get the stupid "no speakers connected" message, and the music starts playing anyway. ...so since iTunes reporting this to me is certainly not helping - is there any way to just tell it to shut up and play regardless of if it thinks there are speakers hooked up or not?

...or better yet, is there a way to force the airport express to maintain a digital sync with an external DAC even when no songs are playing?

Thanks!

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
frankblundt said:
I presume you've tried unchecking "look for remote speakers" under Prefs > Advanced ? (although it may not play at all then...)

...yeah, unfortunately then I just don't get the option to play through my airport express at all.

I think the solution is just to play music 100% of the time ;-)

bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
lordj4000 said:
Here's a less elegant solution. Disable remote speakers in iTunes and then download Airfoil and use that to send the music to your airport express. I believe it costs $25 though :(

That looks like a pretty nice program actually. Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.