Anyway to view .AVI using Quicktime??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forthebrave, Jan 16, 2005.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
  2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Not that I know of... Wish there was though, I hate having to use Windows Media Player :(
  3. DylanJ macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2003
    Divx movies in quicktime? The answer is yes but no. Can you watch them? Yes. Can you hear them? No. If you download some codecs the video should play fine but I don't think theres a way to get the sound to work. And even if there is as the previous poster stated VLC or Mplayer are much better options. Quicktime can't even do full screen video so why anyone would use it is beyond me. Now my personal favorite player is VLC it used to be much more stable then Mplayer but I know Mplayer has had lots of update. My advice is try them both and see which one you prefer.

And to the poster who used Windows Media 9 to play Divx movies please switch to one of these players. Unfortunatley WM9 is a neccesary evil on the Mac system to play some files but for everything else use VLC or Mplayer.

Also a quick hint because this took me a while to discover. Even though quicktime can't play .AVI files it wants to play them all. In order to change it so they open by default with VLC or Mplayer. Do a get info command on a .AVI file and then go to the section called Open with and select your favorite player. Then simply click change all and all your files will now open with that player.
  4. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2004
  5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I actually play almost all .avi files using Quicktime (and yes, sound and video both work), I only very rarely come across one that won't work, but then other programs tend to have issues with them too. You just need to make sure that you have the appropriate Quicktime plugins, and you'll be fine. I was going to attach the files you need, but they are too big for MacRumors (limit is only 100kb), but if you PM me your email address I can send them to you.

The plugins I use are Divx, 3ivx, and an AC3 audio plugin. Those 3 seem to handle everything. There are a couple other plugins in my Quicktime folder, but I don't remember putting them there, or what they are for, so I don't think they are important. Just download the above 3 and you should be good to go.
  6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Check what version of an .avi you're trying to watch, then type that into (use the OSX tab).

That'll pull up several codecs to decode .avi content. Install the one you need. Play movie.

.avi is a media container, it can contain a number of codec types.
  7. hunter3740 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    better late than never

I've used perian for .avi and flip4mac for .wmv--they add themselves to your SystemPreferences and allow Quicktime to play those formats (as opposed to just getting Windows Media Player for Mac or VLC).

NOTE: there are a whole bunch of codecs; flip4mac and perian do a good job of covering a lot of them (i.e. not 100%, but at least the more common ones).
  8. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2009
    good, cos the VLC is the best at the moment I think... I've had my Mac since the August and I'm still shocked of the new features I'm discovering everytime I watch sth, like the support for the blu-ray .mkv extentions ^^
  9. FallibleClover macrumors newbie

Nov 13, 2009
    +1 for Perian for .avi and flip4mac for .wmv. Perian also allows for .mkv files to be played with Quicktime.
  10. pokeyjoe macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2009
    +2. Pretty painless.
  11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Guys, you are aware that this thread is five years old, right? Or that the OP hasn't been active in three years?
  12. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Perian and Flip4Mac are both "must haves" for Mac video

But I am curious as to why you felt you needed to answer a question from 5 years ago and resurrect this thread? You weren't searching for an answer to a problem, and the question was being currently asked by a poster.
  13. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Jun 29, 2008
    Post count +1.
  14. polotska macrumors 6502

Sep 23, 2007
  15. hunter3740 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    why "better late than never"

I had searched for something else, curiosity clicked, and came across this. Since I'm one of those types who would rather get the built-in stuff working than add more software (i.e. albeit I suggested adding perian and flip4mac, but they work with the existing Quicktime), and this thread sort of left off with "install divx, media player, or vlc", I figured I'd add the alternatives in case anyone might read this (which people do read old forums, especially MacRumors!).