AoE 3 ... vram on eMac to low ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by 11bears, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 11bears macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2006
    I have an eMac 1250Ghz,512 mb, 32 mb vram, all the requirements are met to play AoE 3 only the videocard seems to be a problem.
    The game needs 64 mb vram how can I solve this problem, I've heard you can reset the your vram ... is this posible, is it the solution ?
    Will leopard snaek peek solve my problem ... 64-bit addressing of up to 16 exabytes of virtual memory and 4 terabytes physical ?
    Can I extend the hardware ?

Who knows the solution to my problem and wants to help ?
  2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Apr 11, 2004
    There is no solution, there is NOTHING you can do. You could try and play it on lowest settings and it might perform decently. No way of expanding VRAM in eMacs, iMacs or Mac Minis.
  3. 11bears thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2006
    Is there not even a posibility to pump the vram via firewire or the motherboard ?
  4. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    No your only chance lies within tweaking AoE to somehow get it running on your videocard, people got Doom3 running on Voodoos so don't lose hope...
  5. 11bears thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2006
    ok, I got in to the software of the game, what am I looking for, where can I adjust it to a) get past this banner b) get it to run smoothly

any tips are welcome
  6. BKK-OZ macrumors newbie

Feb 17, 2007
    Hi there 11bears - I am in the same situation as you are. I bought AoE III for my son for his birthday, but he only has an eMac.

How did you get AoE to load?
  7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    That's P-RAM, which has nothing to do with VRAM; the hardware on a video card cannot be upgraded. You will never get AoEIII running smoothly on your system, sorry...the game is just too demanding. They do say what the minimum system requirements are for a reason.

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Look guys, Eric's right. You will never be able to run those games on your computer. VRAM is different from PRAM which is different from DRAM and all those are different from storage memory. You can't upgrade your graphics card by adding a hard drive or usb key. That just makes no sense. It's like trying to upgrade the engine in your car by pushing cds into your cd player. Your only option, since you have relatively unupgradable emacs is to buy a new computer that can handle the requirements. This time, it'd be a good idea to read the specs carefully and make sure you meet or surpass them if you want any chance to play your games
  9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.