AOE II and Rise of Nations

Discussion in 'Games' started by ontheuptick, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

Guys,

New mac guy here. Just ordered my Intel iMac.

In college we played AOE II a lot and loved it. I decided now that I am buying a mac, I am going to buy it and get back into it. My questions are these:

1. Is Rise of Nations good? I love AOE II so I assume I will like R.O.N.
    2. I am going to have a high speed connection that isn't the best in the world. I will average about 1 Meg download speeds, will that be good enough to play online?
    3. Where do I go to play online?

Thanks fellas,
    Drew

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Rise of Nations isn't very good. I think AOE II is much better. Originally I saw many posts that agreed that Rise of Nations was a disappointment. The best alternative to Rise of Nations is C&C Generals and the expansion pack. It delivers what I would have expected from Rise of Nations. I liked Generals better than AOE II. Generals is easier but it can be hard in some missions. Even after you beat it, it is still fun to relive the missions again using a different approach to make it harder.

Edit: Never played online so I have no comment.

3. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

4. cubist macrumors 68020

I disagree with BornAgainMac. Rise of Nations is the best RTS game that currently exists on any platform. It has concepts of territory, taxation, diplomacy and espionage that are Civilization-like, and an advanced economic model.

It depends on what you like. C&C Generals is all cartoony combat, no diplomacy at all, very primitive economic model. If all you want to do is move troops around and have them fight, go for it.

You should get Starcraft with the Mac OS X patches. It's cheap ($10-$20 for the battle chest). Warcraft II is OS 9 and won't work in Rosetta.

(edit) Re playing online, the Mac versions of RoN and AoEII cannot play the PC versions because the programmers didn't address the endian issue. Starcraft can play the PC versions (on Battle.net or by IP). You could also consider Warcraft III.

5. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

6. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I used to play AOE2 loads, but decided to try out RoN based on reviews. It is in my opinion, miles better than AOE2. RoN has a lot more features, some of the more important ones being:
    • Resources never run out - After an advance to the Imperial Age in AOE2 you're pretty much doomed because there's no gold, wood or stone left. Trading, relics and farms are the only real options!

• National Borders - You can only build within a certain range of your cities. In AOE2 people could build a castle right next to a Town Centre with enough military and villagers!

• Attrition Damage and Rush Protection - You can set a peace timer that stops people attacking you early if you want. Attrition damage is like a self-defence mechanism. It slowly damages enemies who enter your National Border who are not being supported by a Supply Wagon

• Astonishing range of military - I must admit, I love archers. But I also love tanks, helicopters, submarines and nuclear missiles. Yup, RoN has them all, in glorious 3D.

• RoN has 8 ages - From the Ancient Age to the Information Age! If you prefer traditional combat, you can limit advancing to the 5th age.

• Military tactics - I can't remember AOE2 having much tactic awareness, but in RoN flanking or sandwiching an enemy will do 50% more damage than usual. There are also Generals, who can Force March (Make your units run instead of walk), Entrech (Give extra defence while sacrificing movement), Ambush (Hide your units temporarily) or create Decoys (units that behave real but do no damage).

• Governments - You have a government and at certain times will be given a choice of two different styles. Each one has advantages and disadvantages.

• Lots of Unique Units - Each Civilisation doesn't have one unique unit, but normally between 3 - 10!

• Wonders - They actually do something in non-wonder games. They can give your civilisation certain bonuses like double food production etc.

Ok, well as I already said RoN is far more enjoyable than AOE2 once you get used to it. The Online play is good on GameRanger and will be fine on a 1MB connection but not a lot of people play RoN on there. Hope this helped.

7. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks blizzard... I'm going to have to check out gameranger....

I had heard RON was sweet, so I'm going to give them both a try!

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

9. Mac Player macrumors regular

If u are planing to play AOEII on os x forget about it. I have seriuos doubts it is compatible with newer graphic cards, the game will run slower than on 333 imacs.
    As for RON i found it 2 simple, if u want to play a real game that will test all your skills to extreme play Free For All on Warcraft 3.

I played all the tree games extensively and War3 is the best (not graphicaly wise thought, but that doesnt matter if you are coming from AOE2).

2. lol, thats more than enough some people play on 128Kb connections.

3 If you choose war3 play on battle.net

10. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

Not compatable on OS X? I find that hard to believe, although I have no clue. Can someone else verify this? I already bought AOE II and RON, may add on warcraft or something else too... I'll be able to play these on my new Intel iMac, correct?

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I don't really understand his post (AOE2 plays fine on Macs?) but sadly, if you own an Intel iMac, I doubt you'll be able to play AOE2 and RoN at this moment. Wait for the games to become "Universal Binary" which should be in a couple of months time for full performance.

12. Mac Player macrumors regular

I did not say it wouldnt run i just said AOE will NOT be graphically acellerated by the card, thats why it will be slower on newer machines.

13. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

DAMNIT. Won't they run in Rosetta? I knew I should have figured it out before buying them... So are you saying they won't work, and then a few months from now, I'll have to buy totally new discs?

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think you could try to play it but it'll be a little slow. As for buying new discs I don't think you'll have to. They should do something called cross-grading which means they'll replace your discs for free (or for a very small fee) with Universal Binary discs.