AOL and Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Juswitched, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Juswitched macrumors newbie

I have an AOL account and would like to use it with the Apple Mail program. It asks what the incoming mail server is, it asks me my account type (POP, IMAP, or Exchange), and it asks me my user name, password, and outgoing mail server (SMTP). I have no idea what I am supose to put in those fields. If anyone knows that would be great. Also, is it alright to leave my powerbook on pretty much all the time while plugged into the wall without putting it to sleep (screensaver)? Thanks

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Go to version tracker and look for a program called mailforward, it forwards all AOL mail to Apple's Mail application, I think it costs about $10 since its shareware.
    There is no problem leaving your laptop plugged in and on. Just make sure that you prop the back of the laptop up so that air can flow underneath and ventilate your book'

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't have to pay anything for anything. AOL now fully supports third-party email clients like Mail.app and M$ Entourage.

Try this in Mail.app

In Preferences>Accounts create a new account.

Account Type: IMAP
    Description (optional): AOL
    Email Address: jesuschrist@aol.com
    Full Name: Jesus H. Christ
    Incoming Mail Server: imap.aol.com
    User Name: jesuschrist
    Password: ••••••
    Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com:JesusChrist

Click Server Settings... button

SMTP Server Options

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.aol.com
    Server port: 25
    Authentication: Password
    User Name: JesusChrist
    Password: ••••••

Click on the "Advanced" tab

Check "Enable this account"
    Check "Include when automatically checking for new mail"

Port: 143
    Authentication: Password

This should do the trick so long as you replace Jesus's information with your own.

4. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

MisterMe you really know your stuff. It worked like a charm, thank you so much!

5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wow, I'll have to point that out to my girlfriend when she gets her iBook so when she wants to check her mail she doesn't have to launch AOL.

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I used to have an AOL account, i stoped using it once i got .Mac, its the best email service i have ever used.

7. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

MISTERME

good info mate, but I have a snag-- I got to this stage:

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com:JesusChrist

but then got a warning that there was a problem with the outgoing mail server, and I'd have problems sending emails. Pressed continue then followed the rest of your instructions. Mail got up and running, and I could see old emails, I could recieve emails, but not send them. If I tried I would get the messeage --

' The server "smtp.aol.com:xxxxxx" cannot be contacted on port 25 '

Any ideas?? I'm in England by the way!

cheers

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Don't type anything until you press the "Server Settings..." and open the "SMTP Server Options" dialog box. Then "smtp.aol.com:xxxxx" should display automatically on the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):" button. This works for me and Juswitched verified that it works for him. However, I live in the USA. There is a possbility that AOL uses different servers in the UK. You might try this AOL web page for additional help.

9. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Uk AOL had different server, so I have it sorted now -- thanks and a good bit of info.Now if you can only sort out my AOL and airprot......!

10. mojo2go macrumors member

AOL Mail Question

MisterMe: Perhaps you can comment on Neoelectronaut's posting above. I was under the impression that if one used an AOL account (such as AOL Broadband) for internet connection, there would be no way to access any other internet mail without launching AOL to sign onto the internet first.

Would that affect the directions you described for Juswitched?

11. Juswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ran into a problem when trying to send email through Mail.app with my AOL account. I was recieving email fine but today I tried sending an email for the first time and it did not work. It says that the server "smtp.aol.com:Lap22 cannot be contacted on port 25. You can try to send using a different server." I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

12. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Justswitch - did you sort out the problem? If so how?

cheers

Justin

13. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Wow! Thanks!! I have aol and it worked perfectly! the only problem i have is that instead of using mail's mailboxes, i have extra ones which i cant delete: Voicemail (inbox), Sent Items and Saved. I would rather use mails boxes, but how? otherwise thank you very much!!

EDIT: i solved it by selecting it, then going to mailbox:use this mailbox for sent etc...

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

When aol made their mail accessible by imap, I got really excited.