AOL being Evil!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macmaniac, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This is probably another dumb AOL bug. I have 10.1.5 with AOL for OS X, when i accidently hit the 'Help" key on keyboard AOL quits! Any idea why?
    Probably another reason why to ditch AOL.
    I would but AT&T does not have an OS X version yet.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: AOL being Evil!!!

You're suprised that AOHell is evil??? My, aren't we fast on the uptake :rolleyes: .

What do you need an OS X version of something for AT&T??? If you are doing dial-up, just use the OS X native parts (comes with the OS, NOT extra software). I have Earthlink DSL at home, and you know how much Earthlink software I have installed??? None, nadda, neit, zilch, zippo, bumpkiss... you get the idea???

3. coolocity macrumors regular

AOL for Macs.

I truly believe that AOL software for macs can be summed up something like this..

You know how sometimes you see those really poorly dubbed foreign films, that sometimes seem to make no sense at all? That's pretty much how the Mac software is developed. By trying to make the software almost identicle to the PC version, they botch something up.

Maybe they just don't want it to be as good (like the software is good in the first place??) for the mac.

- John

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

surely quiting AOL is all the help you need

Never seen the point in AOL, I've always been fine with dial up and then later on a cable modem, You're killing you're choices by going with them. The telecom and cable companies have way more to offer.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

You're on AholeL? Man, no wonder you are getting f!!!!! with this program. IMO AholeL is slow and doesn't deserve a price tag.

Have you noticed that the "You've got mail" quote is actually improper grammer? I wonder how a program with parental control is going to help their kids learn to speak correctly...

You've got't get'n off AholeL, 'fore you've hav'n more problems! :cool:

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This is why I almost never use the AOL software...it's crap!

I'm fortunate enough to have access to dsl access both at work & home...so I'm able to avoid the hell of running AOL's software. It's bulky, slow & buggy...

I just wish AOL's netmail would support use from Mail or Outlook...it's pretty dumb that it doesn't...:rolleyes:

7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

AOL is evil, ish!

I like them, because at heart they are Anti-Microsoft but they do seem to suck alot, but then again, I use FreeServe and they suck too (AND THEY ARE NOT FREE!)

Ensign

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, Ensign you just gave me an idea. Maybe we should get together all the internet programs that have metaphoric names.

FreeServe is not free.

Many Americans here (and some outside the USA) aren't on America On-Line.

:cool:

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

AOL is the m$ of ISP's... 'nuf said... :D

I use Earthlink (DSL) for my ISP. I went online with Earthlink several years ago after trying AOHell... I was able to connect the first night, but got busy signals every time after that. I am NOT talking about 'peak' hours either (from about midnight to 4am during the week). I tried all the 'local' numbers that they listed for my area, not one of them would connect. After the third night of attempting it, I gave up and switched to Earthlink. I might have gotten a busy signal a few times over the past several years (starting in 1997) but it never failed to connect (after a max of 4 tries).

They also have tech's that KNOW the Mac OS (9.x AND OS X). I will continue to stay with Earthlink especially since I am paying the same amount as the cable company charges for high speed, and they cannot offer me even half of what I am getting now. At 2Mbps downstream (with Earthlink), which is all mine, NOT shared like cable high speed, it's a sweet connection.

10. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Re: Re: AOL being Evil!!!

Jesus you don't have to bite my head off!
    I know how evil it its for a long time! Ever since we had it I have hated it! The only reason why we have it is because the rest of my family is attached to it. I am changing their minds, but when they want an ISP they want something that is all in one, they don't want to have 5 diff programs to run things.(This is not me, my parents are like this)
    When AT&T comes out with a full OS X version I will switch. Why AT&T you ask? Its because we are customers with them so we get a cheaper deal with them.
    You would be suprised how lucky I am with AOHell, I get a fairly fast connection for a 56k modem and it does not drop off much. But I hate it and it has got to go! Thx for advice(i think)