AOL Email to Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotdotdot, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I use Windows but I'll use any Mac help with this one!

I want to cancel AOL as its no longer needed. But it uses a stupid format to save emails that only AOL can open! I want to save emails to open in Mail.app (or Outlook Express or Thunderbird...) that have TO, FROM, Subject, the body, and attatchments.

How can I do this?

Please reply ASAP...

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A couple of years ago, AOL allowed any IMAP-compatible email client (including Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, etc.) to send and receive AOL mail. Unfortunately, IMAP clients can no longer send AOL mail, although they can still receive it. Presumeably, the change was forced by security concerns. Before AOL allowed IMAP access to its accounts, it developed the AOL® Communicator email client which allows you to unify your POP3, IMAP, and AOL accounts in a single location. Communicator has recently been updated.

3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

But I'm talking about my emails from like 2002, 2003, etc. which is not stored on AOLs servers, but on my PC.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Not a solution for the OP, but I connect to my AOL email with Mail.app. I haven't sent mail in a long time, but I just checked and it worked. I send mail from AOL with Mail.app to Gmail. No problems at all.

5. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

So my filing cabinet files are basically stuck?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I found a web site listing email conversion programs for various platforms and services. I think one of those, or a combination of several of them, will do what you need.

7. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

THANK YOU!!!

I found a program called ePreserver... looks good! Just updated on the 7th!

Hopefully it will do the trick...