AOL for OS X Gets Thumbs Down from CNET

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

http://www.cnet.com/internet/0-3762-8-20372044-1.html?tag=st.is.3761-0.hl.3762-8-20372044-1

Oh brother! Even though I rarely use AOL, this is bad news for Apple. :(

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I've been running AOL OS X for 9 months and I am trying to ponder what is new. Apple made a big deal about AOL for OS X in january but AOL did not, then in august AOL says they have AOL for OS X, I'm a little confused! No wonder why Warcraft3 has been running so slow! I better switch to AT&T world net soon! Does anyone know if it is compatible?
    Small wonder why it got bad reviews, AOL sucks but I can't get rid of it:(

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Why is this bad news for Apple, Shrek? Apple would not want to support something as slow and as much as a resource hog like this, and IE, a mostly operative and quick-to-load app is already supplied on the Macs. So, why is this bad anyways?

AOL has sucked [E] since day 1, and still sucks more [E] than ever before. Most Mac users hardly use it anyways (take a look at the new browser poll, to get a gen. idea :D), as they prefer IE, Chimera, or Mozilla.

4. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

The problem is KC, wether one thinks it sucks or not, is that AOL is so popular that millions and millions of potential switchers could be turned away from the Mac because of this one issue that Apple has no control over. Bad news for Apple.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

This is one of the many reasons why I stopped using my aol service so much. The software alone blows...and they can read this...I DON'T CARE. :eek:

Their broswer has always been slow as sh*t in the past, and even though I installed their OS X version a few months back, I haven't used it yet. There's no reason for me to with dsl networks setup both at work & home.

As for their user support...it's pretty damned terrible too. They changed the way their webmail works a few months ago, and it made the ability to download attachments completely obsolete. I literally had to start forwarding my emails to another addy just so I could get the attachments. Then I stopped using it all together. I wrote a few times...but not one reply...those f*ckers...

I guess that's what happens when u become a HUGE corporation by merging with other companies... :rolleyes:

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Heh. True story...

I don't remember all the details, so bear with me on this one...

One time my English teacher wanted help with AholeL and her PC, and she got a nasty-ash response over the phone. She cursed outloud, or smthn', in front of her family.

I take it not too many others like the service from AholeL. :rolleyes:^2

Just backin' yaup, eye. True story, man.
    BTW, when was the last reply to this thread?
    :p

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanks for the backup ;)

I've had my AOL account for 7 years now...it was all I knew at the time when I got my first Mac...so naturally, I was excited about having it...of course this is before chat rooms were the only way to find interesting people on the internet...

as for the last reply? showing 5:40 pm if that's what u mean?