AOL for OSX keeps crashing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elensil, Oct 30, 2002.

1. elensil macrumors regular

I am enjoing my last month of AOL for free, but OSX version started crashing a couple days ago. "Aol had unexpectedly quit" is the message displayed. Is it a common problem? Are there any known fixes?

Thanks

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Mine does the same thing. The solution: Change to a better internet service. I've heard a lot of people say that AOL For OS X isn't Jaguar compatible. Are you running Jaguar? I have to stick with AOL through December. On January 1, my town is finally getting cable internet access. I can't wait to get rid of AOL.

3. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am running Jaguar 10.2.1
    Well I am getting DSL in a week...

4. tibookowner macrumors newbie

a fine Internet service provider...

come to think of it... I can honestly say I have no idea whether Earthlink has an OS X Internet service, but they have an OUTSTADING INTERNET Service! MAybe they do (it would make good business sense, after all...!

5. yzeater macrumors regular

Here's a good (but unfortuante) rule of thumb. Take the date they say you'll have cable internet, and add 18 months to it

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Actually, they told us that date 1 year ago. The cable company had to buy out the telephone company before the city would allow high speed internet access. That happened one year ago. Now they have almost finished upgrading the lines, and they have their servers in place. Everything starts up on January 1.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

And if you want a wire to go under your house, don't assume the person installing your broadband will go under the house. I mean, heaven forbid that a technician would have to string a wire under a house, its not like we are paying him or anything.... :rolleyes: . Yeah, it took about 5 months after we signed up to actually get it functioning, but it was worth it. Crawling under the house and all :D.

8. octomon macrumors newbie

Yes this crashing problem happens to everyone

AOL told me to re-install the Jaguar version. Haven't tried it yet, but I bet it DON'T work.

Leave it to AOL to make an app that crashes routinely in OSX. :(

9. atomwork macrumors regular

AOL?

Can't believe people still go with AOL. I mean whats the benefit. Don't you all just need an internet connection and a browser. Why have all those nonsense there.:) Gee :) Same with MSN... Get DSL

Didn't mean to offend anyone.
    D

10. octomon macrumors newbie

Good Question...

One big reason for AOL [and Mac too] is viruses - we don't get them. nobody writes them for us.

Another is...the mail account is so easy and dependable, and so easy to find and track all email traffic, even from years ago.

Another is...My friends are ALWAYS having trouble with their Outlook or outlook express. Seems like a pain in the arse configuring, viruses, etc.

Another is...I'm sure many people, like me, have a relative with the account, and we just each have a screen name. WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR THIS MYSELF?! :D

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've only kept my AOL account for the sheer fact that I may one day need to actually use their dialup from out of town. I surf via DSL both at home & work, so I have zero need to use their software, thank god. I knocked down my monthly pricing plan to $4.95 per month (just enough to keep the account and get 2 hours of dialup access, doubtful I'll keep on any longer than a few mins if I can help it though), so it's more piece of mind for me. ;)

12. diorio macrumors 6502a

AOL is not a good internet browser, you should just switch browsers and see if that helps any.

13. Macximum macrumors newbie

I'm having no problems at all with AOL for Mac OS X and I'm also running 10.2.1. So I assume you might be running the first GM version AOL launched which was 10.1. only. Are you sure you are using the latest version?
    Stupid question: Have you deleted your prefs?

Macx

14. bcsimac macrumors 6502

I don't have any problem with AOL for Mac OS X. I only use it sparingly since I also have two other ISP accounts. One free and one not. You just need to make sure you have the latest version of AOL for Mac OS X to make sure it works right with Jaguar. The latest release 10.2.1 of AOL for Mac OS X was specifically tested and built for Jaguar compatibility. As for somebody's comment on Earthlink, Earthlink does have a Mac OS X compatible software package for their services. The latest version is 2.6.3 for Mac OS X. This version is also specifically tested and built to be compatible with Jaguar. Hope this helps answer questions.