AOL IM for Mac SUCKS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Sep 7, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

hey all,

Can someone please explain to me why AOL IM (not AOL the service, just the IM client to be clear) for Mac OSX sucks so much? It "unexpectedly quits" on me about 6-7 times a week. It doesn't matter what utilities I run, it still does the same thing. I'm using Panther on a 12" 1GHz G4 Powerbook with 512MB of memory, so that shouldn't be a problem. I know there are other (better) clients out there, but neither Adium X nor iChat support links in the profile (at least yet).

What the hell is the deal with AOL IM? Does anyone else have this problem?

sps

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The AOL client for Mac has always sucked. Can you just load it to do your profile and then run Adium or iChat?

3. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Please watch what you type more carefully!

4. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Now iCal is crashing

Sorry about that, I must have missed that part of the forum rules.

Anyway, as far as I know if I load it into my AOL IM profile, it won't appear with the other clients, I've tried.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah. AIM for mac really sucks. I do find it funny that the major feature that keeps you from moving from one client to another is the lack of links in your profile...

6. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

i have reasons...

Putting links in my profile isn't a major feature, obviously. But I keep a site full of photos from various events, trips, meets, etc. for everyone to see, and it helps to have the link in my profile so that those who are not so internet-savvy don't have to rack their brains remembering where the pictures are (you'd be surprised how many people my age, whether on my campus or elsewhere, that hardly know anything beyond simple IM, browser, and email use).

So yeah, it's kinda frustrating that I can't put links in my profile using Adium X or iChat, despite those being incredibly good programs.

sps

7. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

and what's the deal with...

AOL only allowing 200 buddies on the buddy list? Is that only a limitation of the AOL IM client or the service itself? If it's the service itself, will that ever be changed?

Buddies add up quickly...

sps

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

i dunno if proteus does or does not support this, but check out Proteus.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not the best but I don't think that it has ever crashed on me. Still, I use iChat to avoid the overhead the advertising adds to the systems.

10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

it is server side and I dont think it will ever be change. Most people who get that high just need to go though an clean up there list removing names they never talk to or never will again (key word MOST)

11. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

for your info, having a link that is a word doesn't work in adium but using the full internet address does.

I use adium and have the text "Fluidvision.net", whenever I view my profile that shows up as a link to http://fluidvision.net automatically.

I believe this is the same with any link you use.

12. localhost macrumors newbie

Right click/bring up a context menu in the profile entry field in Adium to get an "Add link" command.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess I'm too old to get the whole 'chat' thing.. :confused:

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I just use iChat and treat my status as a profile - sorta.

15. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

To clear up the profile thing...AIM profiles are stored client-side, so whatever you enter into one client will not have any effect when you're using another client. If you use Adium, Proteus, or Fire, you can set your profile in the prefs somewhere, but with iChat you can't.

But yeah, like others have said, don't waste your time trying to use the piece of crap that AOL manages to put out, obviously open-source clients like Fire or Adium, or shareware clients like Proteus, are bound to be far better (and they are). I use Adium, but try all 3 (and iChat if you must), see what you like best.

16. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

You meant "server side" I think. I swap clients all the time, without need for re-writing my buddy list. I know for certain ICQ does this.

I prefer fire--no smilies, no BS, no insecurity. Just works and lets me force fonts and set colors to my liking. It also handles ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and probably others simultaneously and discreetly. To be honest though, I haven't tried the others--just tried Fire and I didn't need to see any more.

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

18. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What I do is run AIM below iChat so I can have a profile. Just sign on both programs, but set AIM to allow no instant messages. You still send/receive all your IMs in iChat, but your profile is provided by AIM.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

That is an official limit, as Timelessblur mentioned. I know someone that has more than one account on iChat because her buddy list is more than 200 people.

Mysterious link

20. crapple33 macrumors member

It's all about Adium. Small, fast, and not very CPU-intensive.

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Use iProfile. It will create a profile for you, which everytime you log in to iChat will be created. It can be updated without exiting iChat. Great little doohicky.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

Err... check out my above mysterious link. It links to a thread that has a direct link (from yours truly) to iProfile. How quick we are to notice...once you notice. :D

23. unfaded macrumors 6502

By the way, Adium DOES support links in your profile. There's an Add Link item in the Edit menu.

24. crachoar macrumors 6502a

What did he do? What? "Hell" is a naughty word now? Can we say "Heaven"? :confused:

So very confused...

Yes, AIM is terrible for OSX. Sadly, none of the AIM clients 'do it all' really. Not until Adium adds voice and video chat...

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'll take AIM over ichat any day. Worst app apple has ever made.