AOL Launch Free 2GB Webmail

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jun 7, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Taking on the might of Gmail, Yahoo! Hotmail etc.
    Article.

2. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Hmmmm, I dunno, if you sign up for this will the send you those free "3 month trial" disks?

I wouldn't want that!

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Google is continually increasing their storage space every month. AOL's offering will seem small in comparison later this year. Apple really needs to increase .mac storage - PRONTO!

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

who cares. my emamil account takes up like less than 2 megs, forget about gigs. I know for some its a big deal, but for most of the public, who can comunicate and transfer files through IM and what not, its just a numbers game with little actual consumer impact. Hardly anyone uses up that kind of space for email. It costs them practically nothing to do it, so it won't be unique for very long.

A bigger concern is interface. Since I'll never use anywhere near that much space, what I care about is how easy it is to use, and what it allows me to do that others don't.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Having tried AOL dial up a few years back I'm loathe to use anything AOL again. GMail via POP access suits me plenty fine thank you.

6. mac-er macrumors 65816

AOL is slowly dismantleing their paid service.

A lot of things they used to only offer to paid members only are going to become free.

7. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Dial-up is dying, and so is AOL. Not fast enough IMO.

8. dhracer88 macrumors regular

I hate AOL (on windows), always have because of its neverending "Oh, were going to update your computer for 25 minutes after you close us down," and the other junk it runs by itself (spyware scanning, "PC chekcing"). Plus, their browser makes everything look like crap...

evilernie--dial up won't be dying in rural areas anytime soon. A lot of houses, including mine, were not set up with any kind of cable connection, and the dish/dss companies do not provide decent service for these areas. Fortunately, Wildblue is launching a sattelite for slow connections this month. Already on the $100, advance waiting list...to get it in July. :)

9. lordmac macrumors regular

This is true, in fact they have been slowing converting all of their rayman based pages to html and other more standard systems. Also another thing they will do is if you are an aol member and want to stop they will offer you the same screen name as your aim name and automatically for 2 weeks forward any mail from your @aol email to your @aim email account. Also aol has had a hard couple years were not to much was gotten done due to the time warner merger and then time warner basically gutting the top management of aol. But they seem have gotten back on track for the most part and are doing some decent things. So as they start offering more and more things free i urge you to give them a second chance. Also the people on these sort of forums forget Aol is targeted to the less tech knowledgeable people then your selves , so what you may consider the way to go, may be to complicated or requires bringing together more things to get online then just getting an aol account.

10. lordmac macrumors regular

Also interesting to note some of you contributed to aol making the decision to do this. I made this thread quite a while ago http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=103928 asking for possible improvements ideas you had for aim. And on it many asked for you to be able to send messages to offline people that they could get when they came online, well this is how they are answering that suggestion. Also the new aim client coming out very soon (with in this month) has a much better interface look (a little ichat esque in that its a silvery look, ill post some pics if you guys want). It also has tabs, improved audio/video stuff and less flashy advertisement. And lastly the ability to have much bigger buddy lists and profiles; those are the big things anyways.
    The whole team who was working on aim has been changed around so with this next update you will start to see what the new team is able to do. :) And lastly the ability to have much bigger buddy lists and profiles. :)

11. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

i long for the day when people actually use the 1 gig they have now, imagine how many more hard drives they are going to have to buy to cover all that Ha Ha :rolleyes:

12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    darn tootin'.... even the mmost recent 'normal user' music catalogue that I've transferred for them comes to less than a gig ...... someone who nees over 1 gig of emails is someone who has a lot of social difficulties that need adressing. ...
    ;)
    On a real-life note, why would I personally need to keep emails so long that, the archiving of which might actually threaten megagig facility available right now) instead of just dealing with the issue at hand? nope ... I'ma stumped.

13. dhracer88 macrumors regular

I don't know who fully-uses their mutigig email accounts. I use 10mb of my 2.x gb gmail account. With previous email accounts (not gig ones), I only used a little bit of space (<1mb). But I have all of those other email addresses fowarding to gmail, so I can finally establish a permanent email.

14. dhracer88 macrumors regular

They've been harassing my family for two years now. My mom's an AOL user (unfortunately), yet they are still sending us the demo disks. I wish you could recycle CDs for money :) ...

15. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

I've had my Gmail account for about a year now, and in that time I've used just under 400mb. Thats about 3500 emails, and sending various university work to myself, so I can download it to use at other destinations.

I've saved myself loads of cd-r's which I would've used otherwise!

I keep every email sent to me in my Gmail web account, and also have it download via pop3 where I then decide if it's important enough to keep locally, otherwise it's deleted off my Mac as well. Of those 3500 emails, I have maybe 1000 saved on the Mac.

Each person uses their email differently - I don't know how you some of you have less than 2mb of email?!

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

It's called deleting stuff once your done with it, as I do with my hotmail.

However with my gmail I keep files that I often need to access at different locations.

17. lordmac macrumors regular

The reason for having having all the space for people is simple, they can advertise that they have it. They can go "use our email we give you 2 gigs of space" and people will wow 2 gigs sure ill use your email. Also storage is dirt cheap these days so it doesn't cost them much to do it. Also interesting of note aol as publicly announced that they will beat what ever amount of space gmail offers . Wonder if we are gona see an email storage war lol. :) :D But i see great potentials for this if they can try this with the aim service in a decent way, which i believe they are. Anyway im happy for all the revamping they are doing to the aim service, I just hope apple incorporates the new features in future version of ichat, as with ichat there is not motivation for aol to keep updating AIM for mac. Also for those interested the switch over date when aol is basically going to offer everything they have free to the public is june 30th.