AOL Now Selling Computers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mac-er, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    AOL is now selling PC's for $299.99 with a one year subscription to the service. One year service is $286.80.

For $586.79, you get a desktop, manufactured by Systemax, with:
    Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    17-inch CRT
    256MB DDR
    40GB HDD
    Lexmark Ink Jet Printer
    1 Year Warranty

Comes with AOL Office software powered by Sun.

You can upgrade to CD-RW and 80GB for $79.99, or for $199.99, you can get 2.8 GHz, 512MB, DVD-RW and 80 GB.
  2. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I think we had a discussion the other day on how cheap computers would get. I stated then that I was surprised this wasn't happening already. I guess it could be a good deal for someone, as long as AOL takes care of adware, etc. What type of service is provided?
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    It's undoubtedly onboard video. Sounds like a rebranded version of Star/OpenOffice, so if these computers sell, it should slightly lessen the reach of MS Office :)

And $23.90/month for dialup? :eek:
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    great, what else is AOL going to do to stop their ship from sinking?

i doubt this is going to work for them, but who knows...
  5. amholl macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2004
    RIP OFF!
    cant u get the same thing from Dell for like 300 bux?
    Do they give u any discounts on the service?
  6. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Anyone thinking how that Dell $299 computer pwns that one? :confused:

Oh, and...

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Thats awesome!
  8. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    That'd be a no.

And, if you cancel the AOL service, you still pay $23.90/month for the remaing months on your contract plus $40.
  9. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    A company called People PC did this years ago but gave you the PC for free. Of course you did have to sign up for a 3 year contract.
  10. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Aol provides anti-virus and anti-spyware software free to all subscribers and dose a decent job of automatically scanning email for such things as it comes in. AS much as people seem hate aol to the extremes for not much reason, its not a bad service for new and not very technical computer users. Also an interesting fact aol used to be mac only way back when, and you have to give them some respect for being one of the few companies to completely beat Microsoft when competing with them head on.
  11. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    For 23.90 a month I would not neccesarily call that Free. plus you have to question if it is any good.
    Gmail does an outstanding job filtering spam as well and it is FREE...
    On this I have to agree with you. For the computer illiterate (God knows there are enough of them out there) AOL does provide a decent service. I would still rather have your average AOL user spend 50 bucks on a basic computing class at your local community college and then go with a real connection.
    I (as much as I hate to admit it) was an AOL member toward the very beginning and I was using a windows PC. I did not realize that that they were infact first targeted to MAC. Thanks for the info.
    I can kind of agree with that. I have to ask though Did MicroShaft actually try to compete with them?