AOL to Introduce Video Chat

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

AOL is readying the next version of client software with improvements to their instant messaging software. AOL was previously prohibited from developing such services due to a prior FCC ban.

The new version will incorporate Video Conferencing for the first time. The software is currently in beta testing and will be released in early 2004 and will be available to both AOL and AIM users.

While Apple's iChat AV software offers text-chat interoperability with AOL's Instant Messaging service, the new Video Chat service is not interoperable with iChat AV.

Some have expected that Apple will port iChat AV itself to Windows, but there are no reliable reports confirming this.

2. macrumors member

Im so bummed

I've been waitng for this so I could video conference with a PC. Or so that we could use an iSight on the PC. I'm so bummed that AOL and iChat won't be compatible.

Hopefully iChat will make it to windows, or add AIM video conference capabilities. And hopefully the iSight will eventually work on a PC.

I'm so bummed it's not more immediate. Hopefully it is at least a step in the right direction.

Greg

3. macrumors 6502

Good or Bad?

Good: If this means apple can sell iSights to windows users, while still making them drool over using iChat vs. crappy AIM and windows.

Bad: If iSight isn't compatable with windows, and if AIM video conferencing does not work with iChat users!

Overall, I'm optimistic....let's hope it doesn't end up bad.

--Waluigi

4. macrumors member

hmmmmm

"Mains declined to comment on whether AOL Live Video IM would eventually interoperate with the videoconferencing service currently offered to Apple iChat AV users. At present, the system is incompatible with Live Video IM."

Sounds hush hush, like Apple would want a joint venture to be. They were pretty open about everything else, so maybe Apple and AOL are working on compatablility. I assume it would come from Apples side, in an iChat AV update. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Greg

5. macrumors 6502a

Dahl

Re: Im so bummed

Agree.
    I would like to see it sooner than later, but I guess this is a step in the right direction.
    I think Apple will release iChat AV for Windows and hopefully built some bridges to PC users.

6. Guest

I said before this would happen.... and I hate to be right

Now, this sucks big time but oh well. Steve-O has only one feasible option available now, port the damned thing to WinBlows and include an iSight Driver along with it. The only positive I can see in this thing is that this might bring PC users an alternative to this spyware/bloatware/adware laden bitch AIM. Oh and please make it Win2k compatible. I am so not going to install WinBlows XP on any of my family's comps so they can video chat with my mac. :D
    Cheers,

Ahmed

7. macrumors member

the good and the bad...

well, its nice to hear that the software will work together (better?) but its a bit of a downer that the whole thing doesnt tie in better with iChat:( I thought that this would be the next step in Apples plan for integration. It might happen in the future but it would have been nice to have gotten the info sooner. Lets hope we get surprised at the MWSF;)

MacMarino

8. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I consider this a good thing because ichat is so horrible that I continue to use AIM. ichat is, IMHO, the worst piece of software apple currently has out there. So maybe a little competition will wake them up. Plus it just gives me a video chat option (not that I'm too likely to use it) in the meantime.

9. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Guess I won't be buying an iSight anytime soon. :(

10. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

like everyone else has said its sad guess theres a work around coming soon

11. macrumors 6502

Get some more friends who use a mac. (and I sight) :)

12. macrumors newbie

Re: I said before this would happen.... and I hate to be right

The current AIM beta web page says that the video conferencing only works with XP.

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/win_beta.adp

13. Guest

Re: Re: I said before this would happen.... and I hate to be right

Was I talking about Bloating AIM? I don't think so. I was talking about an iChat for WinBlows port.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

14. macrumors regular

The iSight works with the FireWire port on a Mac. Many PCs don't use the full implementation of FireWire (all 6 pins), so the camera might not work on a PCs 4 pin version. Those extra two pins provide power. That's why your iPod can charge when connected to your Mac, but not your PC.

15. macrumors member

How can you people not see what is happening? There is no reason that the windows community can"t make and sell an isight-like camera for half the price (or less), connecting with usb 2.0 or even firewire.

Where will ichat be then? Down the toilet. This is bad news for ichat, and could be the beginning of the end, unless we can use our isights with windose users.

This is not really that surprising. Apple has always been behind, yes, get out of denial, BEHIND, in telephony and internet chatting. While isight is now better than any choice for windose, we have to keep in mind just how many mac users there are in the world. I, for one, want to use my isight with windose people. You can choose to ignore the other 97.5%, but I don't want to. Reality bites.

16. macrumors 6502

I agree, iChat just doesn't impress me. I have it around for the AV features but that's it.

But still, Steve made a big deal about iChat AV using standards, I am kinda stunned that instead of working with the same standards, AOL went with something that's not just Windows-only, but WinXP only.

17. macrumors 6502

Why is this bad for iChat? There's nothing that says you can ONLY use an iSight with iChat, and there's nothing that says an iSight is the only option for iChat.

If the Windows community makes a good hardware alternative, then we can buy it. Hopefully Apple will make it possible for Windows users to do the opposite (use an iSight with AOL's new video IM).

18. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

I dont think it would be a good idea to port ichat. it has so few features (motion icons, profile, etc) that i think windows users would look down on it. itunes was a good port, you couldnt really screw up a music player. but people are used to aim and its features. to not have them would almost be an admission that ichat is inferior.

I say save the port to windows untill iChat is virtually perfect on the mac. that way windows people wont have anything to complain about.

19. macrumors regular

iChat bad?

Some of you are talking about iChat as being bad... in what way is it bad? As for one person's comment that it doesn't support profiles, it does. And as for motion icons, meh (I guess if you could turn it off, options are good). I much prefer it's non-commercialized interface to that of Aol's ugly cluttered adbloat. I also like that I can have pictures on or off, bubbles on or off (I prefer the bubbles oddly enough, it makes for easy read).

20. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

Re: iChat bad?

how?

21. macrumors 65816

1macker1

Untill i can do multi AV chats, i'm not impressed with the AV. But i do like iChat.

22. macrumors regular

Re: Re: iChat bad?

get info on a buddy, and then select Show: their name

23. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

Re: iChat bad?

I just don't like how Away messages are handled. If anyone has links in them, you can't look at them because the only way you can see the whole away message anyway is by hovering over the user's name. You can right-click and view their profile, but not their away message. Not to mention that typing away messages into that tiny little box is annoying. Or that is stores all the away messages you write, instead of simply the ones you want saved.

I do like iChat, and I use it regularly, but I'd have to agree that it needs some major work.

24. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

AIM isn't the bloated ad whore that some people are saying it is. I use DeadAIM on Windows ME (mac is in the mail, I swear) and I never see ads, pop-ups or that RAM hogging stock ticker. I don't know what my alternitive is going to be on a mac, but as long as you find a good hack, AIM isn't that bad.

25. macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

I'm sure third party developers could work their magic, after all it is based on open standards. With some time I think Apple would see the benefit in making it cross platform compatible without having to port iChat, just iSight with drivers.

But in truth I don't really think pc users would be willing to pay $150 for a webcam at least the majority wont. I don't think they see the sense in spending that much on what's been perceived as a toy; if they only knew how powerful, fully capable audio and video conferencing camera it truly is.