AOL working on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djstarrock, Feb 11, 2007.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi, I'm somtimes at my grans and I want to connect to the internet is it possible to connect to the internet they have AOL broadband. The router is BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem.

2. J Radical macrumors regular

J Radical

I don't see why not? If she has a modem with an ethernet connection you should have no bother. Back in the day NTL used to recommend USB and provide only that cable, but if you had your own ethernet cable you could just plug right in to the modem's unused port and avoid any yuky driver problems. This was on a PC, but I don't see why you couldn't connect using a mac. Like I say, the only limitation would be a usb only modem and no OS X drivers.

PS AOL sucks.

3. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Oh i forgot to say it uses usb and there no ethernet port.

4. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Yeah I had this problem with the crappy AOL USB modem until I decided to just ditch it and use a decent router. You will need to try and find some mac drivers for the usb modem - try google.

5. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I've have looked but all i could find was expired links and the modem is BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem.

6. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Do I have to to install aol software for the mac for me to sign in.

7. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

How long has she been a customer?
    If its at least a year go on her pc, go to Aol keyword: Live Help and say that yyou have found a better deal and ask if aol offers any incentives to stay as a customer and they will lower her bill, doulbe her speeds and send a free iwreless router :)