Aopen to launch Mac mini look-alike PC for Christmas

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plinden, Sep 29, 2005.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

2. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Imitation is another form of flattery. Welcome :D

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Pentium M is good - preview of the MacTel Mini? -- that intel Golden Gate is Fuuugly though.

4. ph0rce macrumors 6502

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's one of those anti-link deals exacerbated by browser caches. Here's a copy.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

As usual, the Wintel world slavishly, yet poorly, apes Apple hardware design.

Notice the sleight-of-hand move of making the base price low by putting Linux on the cheapest system.

I really can't wait for Apple to actually put the Pentium M in it's own Mini - then it will be pretty much unassailable by the Wintel world.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

a linux one for 399?? thats a cool idea but Windows? why buy computerlike that with windows get a normal PC( that can be upgraded) but seems like a good why to get people to linux but will not be as much of a hit as thhe mini( mini was good cuz of its size,OS, iPod halo effect)

I want a linux one!

8. RobHague macrumors 6502

They can emulate everything about the Mini... but they can't offer OSX so who cares. ;)

Although the Aopen design does look far too simular, why couldnt Aopen design an original case for their mini PC offering? Is it a jab at apple? Or so people will directley compare the two systems...

"OOH LOOK! That Mini over there has more GHZ!"

9. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm sure it won't have too many more GHz - it's likely to have the lowest spec 1.6GHz P-M. Anything else would cost too much. By then we should have the 1.5GHz Minis ... oh we do already ... no we don't ... yes we do.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Or you can Dual boot your Refurbished Mac Mini and still be better off then this Aopen box. You will be paying less for the "real thing" with Superior hardware, and superior Operating system included.

11. RobHague macrumors 6502

I still don't get what Aopen is trying to do. :confused:

Small form factor computers are nothing new. What makes the Mac Mini 'New' is that its stylish, small and its still a mac. I guess the price if the hardware looks better could sway 'switchers' but the reason people want to switch is also because of OS X surley... you dont get that with the Aopen box.

I saw someone mention a version shipping with Linux? That's at least something note worthy! Nice to see proper retail systems shipping with Linux instead of Windows.

12. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

but for $399.00 you get a COMPETE system
    LCD Monitor, Kb, mouse.

That is a little hard to ignore.

Attached Files:

13. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

Where does it say it includes an LCD monitor? I highly doubt that, since the cheapest 15" LCD monitor I can find is $150 and that looks like a 17"er

A cheap $75 CRT and basic PS/2 kb and 2-button mouse, I can just about believe. I won't be too surprised if I have to eat my words, though.

Anyway, here's the Aopen press release:
    http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=8387&Language=English

Note how their VP manages to avoid mentioning Apple:

14. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

"Estimated prices are: Linux based ($399/unit) or Windows based ($499/unit). That is a very low price point considering that the Mac Mini starts around $499 and comes without a monitor and keyboard! Looks like AOpen pulled off one heck of a mini PC just before the holiday shopping season."

different article. read for yourself.

15. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Even that article does not say that it includes a monitor or keyboard or mouse. The spec list they show is as follows:

I'm not saying that it doesn't include one, just that at that price, including one seems very unlikely. Another point of interest:

I wonder if the prices are for the resellers. If that's the case, the retail price will likely be higher.

16. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

I've always scorned Celerons as an Intel scam to sell crippled CPUs, but after some more research, I see that a Celeron M 1.3 GHz actually isn't too bad performance-wise. Unlike it's desktop brothers (where you would have to take 3/4 of the clock speed to get the P4 equivalent) the Celeron M and P-M match up pretty closely in performance for the same clock speed (THG has a comparson of a 1.3GHz Celeron M with a 1.4GHz P-M here: http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040309/centrino-01.html)

The only disadvantage apparently is that the P-M has speedstep, ie. the clock speed will be lowered when running on battery so you get less battery power with the Celeron M. But that's not going to be a problem on a desktop.

The 1.3 GHz Celeron M has a TDP of about 25W and will probably closely match the 1.5 GHz PPC Mac Minis for basic processing power, so I wouldn't be surprised to see these in the first Intel Mac Minis.

BTW, I still see no evidence that these prices include a monitor, kb and mouse.

17. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i don't know but it sure SEEMS that when they make statements like:

That is a very low price point considering that the Mac Mini starts around $499 and comes without a monitor and keyboard!

and

They will be sold as complete systems only.

it is going to come with the Monitor, Kb, and Mouse.

Besides why would any PC company try to compete with a mac at the same price point UNLESS they are going to include a Monitor, Kb, and Mouse?

18. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Ah… the smell of a lawsuit. The AOpen product will by Apple be deemed to similar to the mini. Apple will take them to court, arguing possible consumer confusion, to keep the AOpen offering off the high-street. For the xmas sales, at least.

Even that Intel box has a similar form. I mean, how hard can it be to create a small PC that has a unique shape?

I expect Apple to prove just that in the next iteration of the mini, probably with Intel inside.

Also, in the materials department these other players just don´t get it. Imagine the feel of that crappy, vacuum formed-like, plastic shell of the AOpen. Now, move your fingers over the smooth surfaces of the mini…

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

AOpen will succeed with this system because it looks like a Mini. I know you guys are arguing because it's NOT the Mac Mini, and it doesn't have OS X, but most people don't care about OS X, and if they can get a similarly styled computer that can also run what they know (Windows), then they have a successful product as long as the hardware is good.

AOpen's design is good, and the speed of that system isn't horrid. It's also $100 cheaper than the Mini. I think many people in this world don't care if it has an Apple symbol on the top or not, unlike us.

20. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

complete agree.
    maybe some will buy it because it looks like a mini and does NOT have a apple on top.

i know that some people like the style of mac, but (for whatever reason) don't like apple. when something like this is introduced it is a way for a peecee enthusaist to have something with some thought out style.

(don't get me wrong, i think that it is a very cheap example of the mac mini and would not really want one.)

21. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

For sure - people will buy it because it's small, simple and cheap. To most people it's an advantage that it doesn't come with OS X, because most people are reluctant to change system AND they're PC-users.
    But it won't take marketshare from the mini, people who buy Mac are quality conscious and this one is not just cheap - in contrast to the mini it also looks cheap :p

A