AP/Ipsos: Americans want Democrats in power this fall

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Chicago Tribune link

I hate to be the eternal pessimist, and I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't feel quite so cocky as this article implies that I should. Yeah, the Dems hold an 11% "electability" lead, but is that just what the voters are telling the polls? When push comes to shove, will they vote for the same old incumbents again? And second, I fear the Republicans will pull some kind of bull**** issue out of their hat again, as they did with gay marriage amendments in 2004. I know they've failed to do that with immigration and flag burning, but Karl Rove still has time between now and November to come up with something else.
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I know I want the democrats in, Republicans are discraceful and have become the same kind of political scumbags that democrats had grown into only worse. Republicans arent representing the people at all, not a single bit is my take. They are pure corporation puppets to the point they have ignored the Mexican invasion,ignored this presidents lies to get us into Iraq,passed a pathetic Patriot act which they never read, helped the oil companies make billions, outed a CIA agent to spin lies, etc. Im trying to think hard of anything they have done for the american people? Lets see they wanted the UAE to run our ports? wanted to sell a major oil company to the chineese, seems they just arent interested in the American Worker/Taxpayer except at election time.Then trying to give amnesty to millions of mexicans once again, Screw those republican bastards. They have done nothing for this country,nothing but help tear down everything that we were. The American people have been lied to,taken advantage of and raped by this party that worships the dollar,anyones dollar. We have to put our country first,not Iraq,not China,not Mexico,not the rest of the world at the cost of our own souls. Another rant by another "former" republican.
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i don't give such polls much weight. i'm not convinced that when someone wants the dems to control congress, it's going to translate into a (D) vote in their local election.

no links saved, unfortunately, but i've seen more than a couple times this election season where an unnamed (D) does better against an incumbent (R) than the named (D) does. meaning: while people are favoring dems in general, it doesn't seem they favor many specific dems.

all else being equal (and with diebold and such, it's not), i'm not yet convinced of a democratic takeover this fall.
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    So true. Many polls have shown a generic Democrat polling better against a generic Republican, but when names are put in place the Democrat fares much worse.
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The Democratic party has been trying to build support for gradual withdrawal of troops as an election issue, but now with the sudden escalation of hostilities in the middle east, that playing card may not be effective.

The timing of this seems almost too convenient months before our congressional elections.

Unfortunately, it seems that Israel's actions this week have galvanized opposing Islamic factions against Israel and now we can't leave.

If the situation gets much worse we may have no other choice than to
    greatly increase troop strength.
  6. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    You are right but- I think a lot of people are starting to question why we support Israel in the first place-even Republicans. Plus Americans are starting to catch on to this cynical garbage. The GOP can only play the same card for so long.
  7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Yeah, that article seemed a bit too hopeful, but I'd love to see a Democratic takeover. I too fear that the republicans will raise another ******** issue to draw out votes. I think people are falling for that less and less though, which is good.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I think many of the problems in our leadership could be resolved with a
    Civic Responsibility Act.

In other words, compulsory voting where everyone MUST vote within
    a reasonable time frame.

Right now, our current system uses hot button issues to fire up the voters
    to show up at the poles.
    The turnouts are pitiful and the true feelings of the mainstream voters
    are not being represented.

If every citizen HAD to vote, I think we would see many more worthy candidates and far less corruption.
  9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it too. Exit polling showed Kerry should have won. Like most people, I really don't want the neocons in charge anymore with almost all of the other Repubs and even some Dems in tow. But it's not that I necessarily like the Dems. I just really, really hate the neocons and all the damage they are doing. Hopefully the Dems will do less.

If they win.