AP-Ipsos poll: Bush ties May low of 33%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A big part of the reason sounds like the "Security Moms" are deserting him:
    I'll be curious to see if forthcoming polls confirm that Bush's numbers are dropping again, or if this is some kind of anomoly.

Also, I'm sure this poll was conducted before the news of the UK arrests, so we'll see what effect that has on polling as well in the next few days and weeks.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm guessing that the response to this threat will be the bellweather. Will people run back to the Republicans? Or will they see that the Republicans and their methods have solved nothing while costing treasure, lives and influence?

Time will tell.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You'd think they'd see it as a failure on the part of the administrations agenda, basically making things worse for everyone. But the Dems don't seem to want to touch it, and the Repub machine touts it as their success with little to no argument. But you'd also think the fact that it's been so low for such a long time would tell them something. It hasn't, but it should.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from here:
    (emphasis mine)

so there we have it. threats of terror still help bush. look for lots more threats and adjustment of the alert system leading to the midterms.

5. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

The only reason for the low numbers are the higher than normal gas prices. Its $3.00 a gallon instead of $1.20 during the 90's. Also, some conservatives are mad about G.W not locking down the border of Mexico. If you took those two things out then his rating would be just over 50%. I try to tell people that other countries have gas prices way over $5.00 a gallon. Did you know that the just the State of California uses more gas per year than every other country in the world. Also, what sucks is that we can't have more Diesel cars here untill we learn how to have fuel thats of better quality like in Europe. I would love a nice diesel car that gets 50 mpg.I had a truck that was getting 22mpg. That was great for a big full size 4 wheel drive.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't suppose you've got any poll data to support that.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Mine's four years old and gets 56mpg highway. Why didn't you buy one?

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I would still not underestimate the stupidity of the American voter. If the Republicans can come up with another catchy phrase like "flip flopper" or "cut and run" they'll draw back a good portion of thier base.

Its kinda like my 3 year old, he'll be dead set on a stuffed animal that costs fifty bucks, but I know I can easily distract him with a $3 toy car and convince him its better because its shiny and the stuffed animal is not.

9. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Well, all I had to do was ask my fellow Rep. voters. you really can't take polls to heart. I remember pollsters called me and asked the most baiting questions. Example: 2 American soldiers died in Iraq today, Do you think Bush is handling the war correctly? don't forget the average person in the world will believe anything they read in the newspaper. Some people think that the Jews were behind 9/11, and Bush flew remote controlled planes into the towers. The average person is so lazy they just think what people tell them to think. One of the biggest problems the U.S.A has is that everyone in the world watches the dumb movies from Hollywood and thinks normal people act like the stars. People see Paris Hilton and think "wow thats how most Americans act". Most Americans are hard working and very honorable people. Everytime a country has a major disaster whos the first on the seen to help.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What? First you say Americans are stupid and lazy and believe anything they hear and then you go on about how honorable and hard working they are.

Either I'm misunderstanding your run on paragraph or your are contradicting yourself. Clarification please?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wow, that's *way* better than a scientific poll.

12. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Talk about truthiness...

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hey, you might have a future as a political consultant.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Meander, thy name is ferretboy. The world's problem isn't our movies or our idiot b-list starletts, it's our arrogant approach to foreign policy and our giant cultural footprint. If we'd quit deposing leaders we don't like, supporting leaders no one else likes, and fighting wars with client nations to do the killing and the dying, we'd probably be better liked.

As for the average American voter, I think the phrase "If you're not appalled, you're not paying attention" is particularly apt. The average American voter has only woken up because of Katrina and 3.00 gasoline, but Bush has been running this country into the ground since 2000. That it's taken 6-years for people to figure this out simply amazes me.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Amazing 6 yrs its been for sure, Its hard to think of positive things other then his meager tax cut, he's made the news though with Iraq,Katrina,911,Torture,Spying on Americans and outing a CIA agent while ignoring our Border (it took him 5 yrs to look at it with a republican congress) removing the rights and libertys of the American citizen with patriot act and never catching Bin Laden. :confused: Americans arent paying attention.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have never understood this about polls. How is it someone's opinion can change instantly in a single week? One week people despise him, but when those terrorists act up, he's suddenly a better leader.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

They don't ask the same person twice.

Although it would be interesting if they did and you saw the same kinds of swings.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, I would defend ferretboy. It's not really a contradiction to say that the American people are hard-working but stupid. Kinda sounds like the typical Republican voter: Joe Lunchpail, who holds two jobs to make ends meet yet unfortunately believes all the tripe that Karl Rove manufactures, unaware that it is conservative policies that are largely the reason he has to work two jobs.

And hulugu is absolutely right, our incredibly clumsy international interventionism is mainly responsible for foreigners' low opinions of Americans -- but I have no doubt that when other people watch American TV, their opinions are further lowered by the kinds of inane programming we produce, not to mention the media's (intentional or not) depiction of some American celebrities as irresponsible, oversexed and plain old spoiled rotten.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

European television isn't much better. For example, Survivor and Big Brother were Dutch and French television shows first, and American Idol was originally British.
    But, I digress, our cultural footprint is massive and overwhelming, but this is so because there's a market for it. While our media is obsessed with our brain-damaged celebs, so is the foreign press. They delight in it, and they have an audience that demands it.
    No, the greatest danger to Americans remains the average American tourist. Lessen the waves of Abercrombie & Fitch clones swamping the Vatican and you'll see a new-found love for Americans.