AP: Iraq Insurgency Larger Than Thought

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 8, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    from the article:

The official and others told The Associated Press the guerrillas have enough popular support among nationalist Iraqis angered by the presence of U.S. troops that they cannot be militarily defeated.

can anyone else say "QUAGMIRE"?

time to dig out a little woodstock protest music:

"and it's 1,2,3 what are we fightin for?
    don't ask me, i don't give a damn,
    next stop it's vietnam"...

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Damn, I sooo wanted to provide a link to iTunes, but they don't have any of Country Joe's music! Give me an "F" ... Give me a "U".... :D

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I seriously wonder how this affects any attempts at Iraqi self-governance. Reading the paper over the past few days, I have read of Alawi's passing of martial-law authority, and of the situation in Falluja, where most agree there is a center of "terrorists/insurgents", who are unreachable, because for US forces to attack them would inevitably kill many civilians in the city, further alienating US forces from the populace and invoking more sympathy for the insurgents.

In some parts, it seems like any governance is impossible (Falluja), and even if there is to be governance, it may have to be with a big stick...since Iraqi forces are unwilling or unable to be this "big stick" at this time, you could see a situation where martial-law is declared, enforced by US troops. This seems as it would only further discredit Allawi and the government, who may hold the reigns tighter and make elections impossible.

So you may find Iraq with a new dictator, with OUR troops as his enforcers, as the other option would be total chaos...pretty sad...

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i agree with you and will take it one step further...

like vietnam, we cannot distinguish between the insurgents and the civilians because they are, at their choice of time and place, one and the same.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Precisely.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The only way to defeat such an enemy is to kill everyone.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

A US commander in the region (of Falluja) has stated exactly that...