AP Style Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Oct 20, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

For anyone in the know, what about this does not follow AP style? I'm not a journalism major, so I'm not really good with this AP style stuff...

View attachment apstyle.pdf

Thanks!

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the link can help. I think you're supposed to use the number "10" and not the word "ten," though...but I dunno for sure

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

From an English standpoint:

I think it's supposed to be 20th Century's Top 100 Business Journalists list, with those letters capitalized because it's a title?

"His bestselling Three Blind Mice:..." There needs to be a "book" or "novel" or whatever in front of the title because to me it's like, "bestselling what?"

Last sentence sounds awkward. Something like, "He currently resides in Manhattan with his wife and daughter," sounds better. "He and his wife and" sounds bad.

Hope that helps! There may or may not be more errors, I'm not an English major so I wouldn't know.

Oops, were you even asking for this stuff? :eek: I don't know, sorry if you weren't!

4. besler3035 macrumors 6502

- Only use 1 space in between sentences
    - Change October to Oct.
    - Get rid of 2006 (not needed)
    - Change ten to 10
    - Capitalize 20th Centruy’s top 100 business journalists list...also switch around the ru...italicize too (if newspaper or magazine).
    - Quotes around TV shows
    - Abbreviate New York to N.Y.

Hope this helps. You might also want to make the middle paragraph shorter - in journalism, 2-3 sentences are max for most stories.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    God I hated learning all that stuff....(journ Major)

good luck with that...