Apache for OS X vs IIS for WinXP Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feakbeak, Feb 9, 2005.

1. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I just ordered a Mac mini – 1.42 GHz, 80 GB HD, 512 MB, Combo Drive, with AE/BT options. I'm an avid PC user and run a website on my PC at home. I'm considering moving this to the Mac mini, but was hoping to get some input from those who have experience running dynamic websites on both platforms.

I'm currently running a phpbb board with IIS/MySql in the back-end on WinXP Pro. I own a domain name and use a utility program to keep my dynamic IP address updated with my DNS service host. It's a low traffic site, my college buddies and I use to keep in touch in a public forum, post pictures, etc. I have some static pages up there too, but nothing big. I'm wondering if anyone has experience running dynamic websites on OS X and WinXP Pro and if they have any advice about which is easier to maintain. I'm assuming it would probably be a bit more secure on OS X just because it is a smaller target for hackers, but Apache still has its holes that need to be plugged -- which is easier to keep up-to-date with security patches? Keep in mind, I’m very familiar with IIS (even coded some IIS administrative utilities for work) but I have never used Apache.

Another concern I have is if the server's performance would take a big hit running on a Mac mini, if I were also using for daily tasks, iLife, etc. Like I said this is a low traffic, personal site, but it is running message boards and a database server. It has about 20 users, rarely more than 3-4 simultaneous users on the board. My PC has better specs than the Mac mini. Can the mini handle it?

2. relimw macrumors 6502a

Hmm, well, I run 2 low volume websites off my Dual500 as well as using it as a public build machine for an opensource project, as well as playing games and general 'home use'. One of my websites uses TikiWiki.

The only time I ever have a complaint about the system is when somebody kicks off a compile run, and then I tend to see a slowdown over the whole machine. It's rather hard to play games while the system is compiling... :) The lag on the webserver isn't too bad tho, maybe a couple of extra seconds to send a page or such.

In your case, I would definitely upgrade your ram to 1GB. As far as which is easier to run, I don't have any experience with non-unix based servers, so sorry there :) Apple tends to keep rather up-to-date with Apache bugfixes, or, if you think they're too slow about it, you can build your own from the sources, it's not too painful (anymore) :)

3. Willymack macrumors newbie

At the last meeting at NYIT my friend and I thought we heard that if we went to a Microcenter store and registered our name and address we would get either an SD card or a flash drive for free. So I made the trip to Westbury.

No free drive or disk. If you go on-line, you can register and at times a random drawing is made and a disk or flash drive or coupon to pick a free one up, one up is sent via mail.

Maybe we both heard wrong..........but if we did, maybe others did also.