Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
How does one go about setting one up?

I am completely new to this aspect of X and any help would be appreciated.

My purpose for the server is to run my own site, with a php/mySQL news script called DMA News.

Currently I have a 400Mhz iMac connected to the net via Airport via a cable modem.

Thanks in advance.

hitman

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Apache server

Originally posted by hitman
How does one go about setting one up?

I am completely new to this aspect of X and any help would be appreciated.

My purpose for the server is to run my own site, with a php/mySQL news script called DMA News.

Yeah - see the link Rower posted...

basically, you already have Apache setup... to run PHP and MySQL takes a little bit more work... but not very much

arn

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by verbose101
This site has several GREAT packages to install PHP and MySQL in a jiffy! Check it out! :)

ya I recommend Marc Liyanage's site. I tried the O'Reilly stuff and Marc's stuff seemed to be a little more helpful....er, well at least to the point :D

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Thanks for the help guys. :)

I'm going to experiment some this weekend.

I'll post the results...if any.. ;)

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Alright here's where I stand currently:

I followed the first part of the tutorial..not hard at all. :rolleyes: :D

I have the http://IPaddress/~short name setup and can access it on my brother's computer.

I am running it through our Airport network. Will the server work with a dynamic IP address?

I tried to set up the cgi scripts and chmod them through the terminal, but it did not work.

Ah well. I'll work on it somemore this weekend.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
hitman, i used mac os x server to host three sites on my powermac. can you buy os x server? that makes it much easier. if you can't good luck. once you get apache up and running, you will still need a domain name server (or you can pay dotster 5 bucks a year) and they will be your dns.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
yup, OSX server makes it almost to easy. I'm still looking for a graphical front end for Apache myself (free is always good). Am I assuming too much thinking you are already registered with a dynamic DNS server?

cheers!

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
if anyone feels so inclined, please explain the function of a dynamic dns. I assume from the name that it allows you to point http://www.anyname.com to a dynamic ip. but how does it update with the new ip address?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.