Apache2 listen 80

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fall3n, Sep 25, 2006.

1. fall3n macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I've been setting up my server this week in my new iMac 24" (yes, i know I didn't have to say that, but it's so beautiful I think it needs some recognition. haha). It's all running perfectly, but for some reason it won't let me set the listen to port 80. Right now it's on 8080, but I really want to change it as I hate having to enter :8080 after every virtualhost I'm developing on. I have personal web sharing off, actually I don't even have it on my system at all so it shouldn't be that. I'm not sure what is going on. Whenever I make it listen to 80 and restart the server, it says that i can't start apache because it can't listen to that port. Anyone have any insight?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are you logged in under a regular account? I haven't tested this theory, but it could be that you have to log in under an admin account to start Apache on port 80 because it's a "system port number".

3. fall3n thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I am the administrator, so I'm always logged in. Someone mentioned it might be a program that I have open. I'll test that out when I get home. Another said it might be the default Mac OS X server that's hogging it, but I don't even have web sharing installed. Nonetheless, maybe it got turned on earlier and never got turned off

4. fall3n thread starter macrumors 6502

well, I've come to the conclusion that something IS using port 80 and not allowing apache2 to use it. I don't know what it is that is using it though, how can I find out what program is using it and not allowing apache to use it?