Apartment Block ISP

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wes, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    Well I need to raise money for a trip to Namibia in 2004, to help children, improve their schooling and trek the 2nd largest canyon in the world. This comes to £3000. Well I'm 16, and people aren't willing to hire me much. I live in a block of flats (apartments if you will) and I'm think of getting a descent speed internet line and setting up a wireless network. The apartments are new, 5 floors, I'm the top one. What sort of coverage can I expect to get through all these walls with 30 apartments, I will be hosting it off my Powermac, what basestation, does the airport really get the best reception?

Feel free to donate I NEED it BAD! I can give you details about that, I'll even provide you with an update on what's going on with our group, pictures until the day, the 3 week stay, and the return.

Any suggestions on hardware? Cards for pcs, and what os's they will work on?
  2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I would recommend that you check with your broadband provider (BT ?) first. Here in the US such a setup would be considered illegal. Not that people don't do it but.... The other consideration is that I believe I've heard people state that BT only allows so many MBs per month so that would limit how much access people would have. Not a problem if people are just surfing and emailing but it could be a problem if someone was downloading large files.

Here is a link to a search I did about wireless networks:

Good Luck!
  3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    If your apartment building is built anything like my dorm building was (and I presume that it probably is) then you are going to get about 50 feet of coverage through walls, maybe less.

Look around, I was doing tech work for companies and the goverment when I was 15, there are jobs out there, you just have to know the right people to get them.

Good luck,