Apc - UPS Battery back up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DEXTERITY, Mar 19, 2005.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    Does anyone know of a APC Ups battery back up and surge protector that works with OSx (or have any suggestions) The one on Apples site is for OS9 and doesn't even mention the G5? Thanks in advance.

edit. On the apc site they give you the option to search for an ups device and a dual G5 is an option. However, it doesnt say anything about it working with osx.. maybe it doesnt matter?
  2. nelwd macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2004

As all G5's will only boot into OSX, and run OS9 as classic, i very much doubt that OSX won't be supported.

We have several UPS's at work, on all our OSX servers, i'll have a look on Monday what make they are, as i can't remember for sure.
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Most will 'work' - in that that they'll provide battery backup with OS X - as you don't need a signalling cable nor drivers for that. I'm using a small Back-UPS APC UPS with OS X and it worked fine as a battery backup without any additional software. What is a problem is getting all that additional stuff like timed shutdowns on power fail. For this I use software called powerguardian which is excellent but you should check if it fully supports your UPS. I believe OS X does have some basic UPS support built in but I've never used it.

Whilst there are many serial UPS there aren't as many USB UPS so you may need a serial-USB converter. AFAIK powerguardian only supports the Keyspan adapter. Be careful what keyspan adapter you're buying as the common 'twin-serial' model is meant for ADB connections and has the wrong connectors on it. You want a D-shaped connector.

Finally, make sure you have the special APC serial signalling cable. A normal serial cable doesn't work as APC have screwed around with the wiring so only their cables work :(
  4. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
  5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    APCs will work with OS X. I currently use Apple's integrated UPS management software. APC also has their own software for OS X. Moreover, there are 3rd party utilities that provide support for UPS management.

I think if you look at a specific APC product page, you should be able to find some mention of OS X support. I'm pretty sure the actual product boxes have the Mac logo printed on them.

I definitely recommend a UPS as a "must have" computer accessory.
  6. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks. I didn't see any mention on site other than the search options. but I will call apc or just goto comp usa, whom I hate, and look. appreciate the help.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, I would recommend that you call them. They were very responsive to my call. I haven't hooked it up, but they have a USB connection with Mac OS X support. It allows the computer to do a backup prior to shutting down when a power outage occurs.
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Power in my area has been extremely reliable. I only remember 1 blackout in the 10 years of so of living here. In some places like California, I believe UPS are essential, especially for business. But most of the time, I save my projects several times an hour and sudden power outages are so rare.
  9. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    I get a lot of power surges/spikes and we always have blackouts in the summer up here.

I have furman surge protectors and filters for my studio equipment but figured I was better served with a power back up for the computer..
  10. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    Mine works w/OS X

I have an APC Bak-UPS XS 1500 and it came with a USB cable and works with Mac OS X (currently running 10.3.8).

Auto shutdown works; however, it doesn't seem to have an autosave capability (at least my APC/OS X combination). I recall that a prior APC unit worked with Windows to also autosave files before shutting-down.

I'm happy with my APC/OS X combination. I hope this newest unit, though, has a better battery life than my old unit...

11. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2004
    If yours worked then maybe the rs800 (I think it is the model below that one and the one they suggested according to my search results), will work fine as well. thanks.