Aperture 1.5 Update WASTE of Internet Bandwidth!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by electronboy, Sep 29, 2006.

1. electronboy macrumors 6502

I decided to wait FOREVER for Aperture 1.5 update to download. I have a mirrored drive doors G4 with dual 1.25 GHz processors with an ATI 9600 graphics card and 2GB of DDR RAM.

I forgot that I did not have Aperture installed on my system so I tried to install Aperture 1.0 and was told my system did not meet minimum hardware requirements. ARGH! :mad: They now allow you to run Aperture 1.5 on Intel integrated graphics (whatever), but a MDD with dual 1.25 GHz processors, ATI 9600 Pro and 2GB of RAM is insufficient! :confused: I will NEVER recommend this pile of crap application to anyone.

Apple has their heads so far up their behinds its unbelievable. Check the system requirements--THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE AND TOTALLY ARBITRARY! :mad: Can someone please tell me why a PowerBook G4 with a SINGLE 1.25GHz G4 makes the cut, but a maxed out PowerMac G4 MDD does not? Also, if you have a MacPro you suddenly need 2GB of RAM!? What a JOKE!

The only reason I downloaded this update was because I saw from the specs that the GPU and CPU requirements had been lowered. How are you supposed to run the 1.5 Updater if Aperture 1.0 won't even install?

Adobe Lightroom all the way. I can't wait Adobe. Charge me $899 a copy and I will gladly pay it and leave this $500 boondogle in the dumpster.

Signed,

Disgruntled Aperture Owner (not user--remember it won't install!)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Ok, take a chill pill and count to 10. Then repost what the problem is again.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

The G4 requirements are for PowerBooks. Not PowerMacs.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Power Mac G4 was never listed in the system requirements, was it?

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Nope. The 15" PowerBook G4 1.25 was always the minimum.

6. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple lowered the GPU requirements. How are you supposed to use the software if your system meets requirements (from a performance standpoint), but version 1.0 won't install? :confused:

What makes me angry is when you check out the specs, a far inferior PowerBook G4 makes the cut, but an upgraded PowerMac G4 does not.

How can this be? Because Apple does what they want. Go right ahead Apple, keep developing software without any end user input. Result? Aperture 1.0 and 1.5 upgrade. USELESS!

7. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

WHY? Why a PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz and not a PowerMac G4 DUAL Processor G4 with a current GPU with 256MB of DDR RAM? :confused:

8. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to run the software on my other Mac smarty pants. Is that sooo bad? By the way, it wouldn't run on my PowerMac G5 either until I upgraded it too.

You always read all the fine print on the box before they buy it? Why shouldn't I be upset? Look at the hardware reqs. They are totally arbitrary. Don't you see it? PM G4 owners are penalized while PowerBook G4 users get a free pass. That is wrong.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

How did they "lower" the graphics requirements? For all you know, the GMA950 may be better for Aperture than your 9600.

The PowerBook is supported because it is newer. You may notice that Apple's Pro Apps support for older systems tails off sooner than OS X, to get people to upgrade. So they want to make people buy new systems? *Shocker*! They're a business wanting to make money! Hold the phone!

Apple are, of course, making hardware and software for financial gain. Aside from this obvious atrocity, what's your problem? That a newer version of a software package comes out and still doesn't support your computer, an older system that was never supported by it?

10. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

11. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Not if you've got a 15" G4 FW800 that's 1Ghz. Or a 12" PowerBook G4. ;)

TBH it's probably reading the system model (eg PowerMac1,1 or something). It won't even get to the graphics card.

12. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

The atrocity is that my PowerMac G4 as congifured runs circles around any PowerBook G4 no matter how recent. The atrocity is that this was a $3,000 computer when purchased.

Come on folks, lets get real. An Intel GMA 950 using shared system memory does not outperform an ATI 9600 with 256MB of dedicated DDR RAM.

I like Apple, but not when they pull stunts like this. Sorry.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You shouldn't be upset. This thread is a waste of internet bandwidth because you didn't pay attention and bought a product you couldn't use.

It supposedly doesn't run well on PowerBooks, but they allowed it for some crazy reason so you could process your photos while you're on location. It still requires a strong machine and those dual core Mac minis and MacBooks have a lot more power than your dual G4.

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Firstly - this isn't a stunt, it's what companies do. You look at any computer software developer, and they won't keep developing professional programmes for machines that are several years old, no matter how they've been upgraded and maxed out. i don't think it's fair to blame Apple for a "stunt like this", because they've not supported a computer they discontinued three years ago.

Secondly - my mistake, completely brained that it's a 9600. oops. brain went to some odd place and thought you were talking the stock graphics card it'd come with.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't tried this, but give it a go:

Copy the DVD to your hard drive, then Show Package Contents on the installer. Open up the Contents folder then open Distribution.dist with TextEdit. There will hopefully be a function called installationCheck, here's what it looks like in iWeb:

Code:
    function installationCheck()
    		{
    			if (system.files.fileExistsAtPath('/tmp/com.apple.mpkg.iLife'))
    				return true;

my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('ERROR_NO_STANDALONE');
    			my.result.type = 'Fatal';
    			return false;
    		}
    Change it to this:

Code:
    function installationCheck()
    		{
    			return true;
    		}
    Save and try installing.

16. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, Ok. Nice to know the Apple marketing machine has got to you all. How could I forget, this is the site that posted pictures of COVERED banners prior to WWDC. :eek:

Actually, I have used very little Internet bandwith, not like I uploaded a 125MB file that someone could not use. :D

I have every right to be angry, a $3,000 machine from 2002 that has been upgraded and has the juice should not be excluded while other machines are given the green light.

17. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

No, I used to run it on my PowerBook and it wasn't fun. However, I've actually just done a test or two on the dual core 1.83 Mini and it's fast. A lot faster than I thought it would be.

18. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

YOU ROCK! Let me try it, but not tonight. I need a Jack and Coke right now. :cool:

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Try Adobe Lightroom.

20. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not arguing about the Intel Macs. I'm comparing to certain PowerBook G4's. Trust me, I understand the differences. That's why I feel so slighted at the moment.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

22. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

But not other machines from the same period. Show me one 2002 machine that supports Aperture or runs Motion at *any* workable rate, even maxed out. FFS, I run Motion on a dual core 2.0 G5 and it could still be better. (And Aperture on it is slower than on this 1.83 Mini here).

23. electronboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice photo. Maybe we could post that next WWDC when Apple announces 10.6 or whatever it will be called drops PPC support.

Honestly, the crybaby pic is much more entertaining than pictures of COVERED banners at WWDC. Oh the intrigue! :D

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not making any guarantees, but that let me install iWeb on a G3. With any luck, the Aperture installer will work the same way.