Aperture 3 on large 2560 x 1440 screen, macbook with intel 3000 + I5 2.3ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by DrD, Apr 14, 2013.

1. DrD
    macrumors member

DrD

I am wondering about running aperture 3 on large external 2560 x 1440 screen, connected to my 2011 macbook pro. Not so much a question of IF it will work, just how well it will run.

The macbook pro specs are:
    Intel HD 3000
    Core I5 2.3 ghz
    4 gb ram

I don't plan to run much, if anything, else in the background. It'd just be a way of taking my photo library with me on the go, while also letting me do some nice pixel peeping and professional editing at home on a big screen.

2. macrumors 68040

I have a Thunderbolt display that I have attached to my 2012 MBA and it was fine for Aperture. I often bring the ATD with me when I am working remote at my beach condo.

At home, the ATD is attached to my 27" iMac... and then I run Aperture in dual display mode. I typically have the secondary display set up to display a full screen view of the selected photo... but there are lots of options.

/Jim

3. DrD
    thread starter macrumors member

DrD

Great answer. Thanks, my MBP should be speced pretty similar to your MBA, so that more or less answers that.

4. macrumors 68040

You do have an SSD correct? I find Aperture performance is quite sensitive to fast I/O. The SSD has about ~100X the IOPS of a HDD... and you can feel it in an application such as Aperture.

/Jim

5. DrD
    thread starter macrumors member

DrD

Not yet... but oddly enough I was planning on getting one along with the monitor at the same time. Glad to know it will help considerably.