Aperture 4 and a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by smoge, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

smoge

Any chance of getting a overdue update to Aperture with the long overdue update of the mac pro at WWDC 2013?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, any chance.

3. macrumors newbie

I doubt it. Each year there is less and less focus on hardware at WWDC. I expect Apple to do another 'almost the whole range' update / launch in the autumn like they did last year (based on Tim Cook's comments earlier this year). They'll launch the new 'pro-model' (presumably a MacPro) then.

Plus… Hate to break it to you, but Aperture as we know it is probably going away.
    Apple has happily ceded the pro-app market to Adobe. Why would they bother throwing money at Aperture for the small (and constantly dissatisfied, see the complaining about the recent Adobe CC announcements) pro/prosumer photography market.

I'm hoping the huge gap since the last significant iPhoto / iMovie update means they're doing a major (read: post-ipad) overhaul of these two. And, since they added a bunch of Aperture like brush features to iPhoto on iPad, i expect the next iPhoto to be an amalgam of iPhoto and Aperture.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

smoge

Thanks for your comments, wwdc cant come soon enough

5. macrumors 6502a

Adobe's announcements last week about almost all of their software going to a subscription basis only has been met with great deal of (well deserved) flack and criticism. They've alienated the hobbyist with their pricing structure. There are even indications that the CC version of Lightroom will have features added that the retail version won't get. Adobe has created their own "New Coke" moment, that will come back to bite them.

Aperture isn't dead. Apple has been hiring software engineers for the iLife/iWork/Aperture units on an ongoing basis. Personally, I believe we'll see announcements at WWDC about updates to all three.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

smoge

I hope so :rolleyes:

7. macrumors regular

Me too - about time to get some updates :)

8. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Adobe say it wont be different

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

9. macrumors newbie

That'd be fun. But I don't buy it, WWDC is for developers (and it's the hottest developer event in the world right now). Those 5000 developers are not going there to hear about Aperture or iLife. They're straining at the bit to hear about iOS7 (and to a lesser extent OSX 10.9).

One thing, I said before that WWDC is less and less hardware… but it seems like some new MacBook Air's, at least, will be released.

So maybe I'll be proven all wrong :)

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no expectations on seeing any news on AP4 from apple this WWDC. They'll have a full schedule talking about iOS and the iPhone.

11. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

I hope they can update iWork so I can ditch Microsoft Office completely. :apple: