Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col.Steve

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Photos for Mac and iPhone really sucks. There is no way to sort by name and I really need that for my millions of photos which I sorted well under iPhotos. Apple you suck!

I figured out best way to be able to view my photos sorted by name or date is to use Photo Manager Pro on my iPhone or iPad. I created folders in my MacBook pro using Finder which will be my 'albums', then using iTunes i snyced them to create albums under IPhone's crappy Photo app. Then I imported those albums into Photo Manager Pro and deleted the albums from Photos to save duplication and space on my iPhone. Voila! Now I can sort by name etc on my iPhone using Photo Manager Pro. I also deleted the Photos system library used by iTunes on Mac to save space on the Mac too.

Last edited:

Col.Steve

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
I figured out best way to be able to view my photos sorted by name or date is to use Photo Manager Pro on my iPhone or iPad. I created folders in my MacBook pro using Finder which will be my 'albums', then using iTunes i snyced them to create albums under IPhone's crappy Photo app. Then I imported those albums into Photo Manager Pro and deleted the albums from Photos to save duplication and space on my iPhone. Voila! Now I can sort by name etc on my iPhone using Photo Manager Pro. I also deleted the Photos system library used by iTunes on Mac to save space on the Mac too.

AmayaAria03

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Do we think this may be the start of Apple removing the i from their software names? Could iTunes be rebranded Music for instance?

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Do we think this may be the start of Apple removing the i from their software names? Could iTunes be rebranded Music for instance?

Quite possible. "i" stood for the Internet and was attached to the first Internet capable desktop Mac, i.e. the iMac. The i prefix become synonymous with the rest of the Internet capable Apple devices afterwords. In those days Internet was relatively new, so the i prefix had a meaning.

These days with the ubiquity of the Internet in everything, the i prefix has lost its significance. So, Photos and Apple Watch may be the first examples of the disappearing i prefix.

As far as the iTunes is concerned, I can see the Apple Music name being used in a broader sense and becoming the new name of the iTunes, just like Spotify is the name of both the streaming service and the program itself.

Sakyant

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Word was you'd still be able to download copies you'd purchased previously - any problems now I'd assume are snafu's that will be fixed. The implication was that iPhoto and Aperture will run at least through Yosemite (and hopefully at least the next release) while we get some bug fixes and updates on Photos.

I realized I had forgotten to buy the newer (bluish icon version of iPhoto that had dropped features from the prior version of iPhoto, so I avoided it) from the App Store and tried to do so on launch day, but couldn't pull it up.

Best idea is to find a copy of the installer now while they are still somewhat plentiful (making reminder to myself) if you want iPhoto working on Yosemite while 1.0 Photos matures.

Basically the OS will refuse iPhoto Installation after the next update or so. This happened with my version of Final Cut Pro and Aperture already, but not with iPhoto yet
If you go to 'Purchased' in Appstore on OSX El Capitan. you can try to download it, but it will say there is an error (because the file no longer exists and is deleted from server). The same happens with iphoto, aperture, tomb raider underground (not available anymore in appstore and your purchased list does not allow it to download)

I have lost; Tomb Raider Underworld, OSX Server, Final Cut Pro, Aperture.
You wont be able to download it from purchased since the file is currently deleted.
The purchased list is hence now completely erroneous, and Apple are suable for theft of digital property that is purchased.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I called Apple and provided them Aperture retail media key and whatever the other key is below that, and was able to get a redeem code for the App store version.
I do need to get a backup of the app and zip it.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
IMO that issue is already since Apple pulled Aperture from the App Store in February. You had to buy or upgrade before via App Store. So it is nothing special with El Capitan. And as Adam mentioned you easily can get a redeem code if you have a serial from your boxed version. Don't know why Apple went that cumbersome way and didn't just keep Aperture in the normal update path but well with 99% customer satisfaction their customer support probably needs something to do to stay motivated. :-/

Anyway, the good news is that Aperture works with El Capitan. Gives me another 1-2 years to stay away from that stupid Photos thing.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You wont be able to download it from purchased since the file is currently deleted. The purchased list is hence now completely erroneous, and Apple are suable for theft of digital property that is purchased.

Apple did not take anything away from your computer. They did not steal anything. If you make backup copies of all the applications you buy, you can restore from the backups. I've done so for iPhoto (just yesterday!), and the older iWorks apps, just like I do for apps purchased from other than the Mac App store. This is hardly different than saving the install media back in the days of DVD/CD/FD distributions.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My app store is showing an update for Iphoto pending. I cannot update the app and i cannot get rid of the pending update.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
Phase One even don't use OpenCL for rendering effects in Capture One, which is the reason, why the same task in Capture One is 10 or more times slower than in Aperture.

Capture One Pro supports OpenCL provided that your hardware does:

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 2.14.12 AM.png

Last edited:

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
So let me get this straight.. A little less than a year ago I spent $80 on a piece of software. It was excellent and solved all my problems, but now it has a bug where it crashes any time I try to export. I go to fix it and find out Apple has basically just dropped it and given me an iphone app as a replacement.

Is Apple going to give me my $80 back? How about all the time I get to spend now rebuilding all my libraries and folders and s**t in Lightroom? Are they going to send some send some one to help me transfer everything?

It's one thing to put a new app out there and replace the free iphoto with something that integrates more seamlessly with iOS, but if it's not going to replace Aperture then why is Aperture getting axed? At least keep updating and supporting the thing we bought.

When I bought Aperture 1.0 it cost $500.

Reactions: NY Guitarist

GrooRJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2015
Brazil
I purchased Aperture some years ago and I had to format and install the OS again on my Mac. When I tried to install tge Aperture again it said that it was not available anymore for download. It's unfair, because I paid for it.

But at least I had the idea of making backups for both the Mavericks and Yosemite late aperture versions. You can simply copy it back to your applications folder.

Aperture is still a great software with many unbeatable things even today. Not the best software in some areas but it really rocks.

Photo simply sucks. It's horrible like iPhoto.

I'm a very experienced photographer with a huge photo library, about 75000 images. I never used Aperture itself to manage it, I use Phase One Media Pro instead. But I like to use Aperture for some tasks like making slideshows and geotaging.

I hate Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm using it for 15 years and it's heavy and eats resources like a beast.

If you need something really good try Affinity Photo from Serif AND keep your old Aperture. No updates, but who cares ?

brtova

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
iPhoto to iPhoto

I'm a heavy iPhoto user, and haven't updated my home computer to Yosemite yet. I'm about ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'm ready/wanting to move to the new Photos app yet...

So, my question is, if I upgrade to Yosemite now, will I still be able to update iPhoto to the latest version without being forced into migrating to the Photos app right away?
[doublepost=1467073630][/doublepost]
iPhoto to iPhoto

I'm a heavy iPhoto user, and haven't updated my home computer to Yosemite yet. I'm about ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'm ready/wanting to move to the new Photos app yet...

So, my question is, if I upgrade to Yosemite now, will I still be able to update iPhoto to the latest version without being forced into migrating to the Photos app right away?

I upgraded to Yosemite and LOST iPhoto altogether. And Photo is a far inferior product!!

If you upgrade, you are out of luck.
[doublepost=1467073804][/doublepost]
Apple did not take anything away from your computer. They did not steal anything. If you make backup copies of all the applications you buy, you can restore from the backups. I've done so for iPhoto (just yesterday!), and the older iWorks apps, just like I do for apps purchased from other than the Mac App store. This is hardly different than saving the install media back in the days of DVD/CD/FD distributions.
Does this apply now in 2016? If so, please let me know how to restore my old iPhoto!
[doublepost=1467074428][/doublepost]
Word was you'd still be able to download copies you'd purchased previously - any problems now I'd assume are snafu's that will be fixed. The implication was that iPhoto and Aperture will run at least through Yosemite (and hopefully at least the next release) while we get some bug fixes and updates on Photos.

I realized I had forgotten to buy the newer (bluish icon version of iPhoto that had dropped features from the prior version of iPhoto, so I avoided it) from the App Store and tried to do so on launch day, but couldn't pull it up.

Best idea is to find a copy of the installer now while they are still somewhat plentiful (making reminder to myself) if you want iPhoto working on Yosemite while 1.0 Photos matures.

How do I do this? Thanks!!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
[doublepost=1467073630][/doublepost]

I upgraded to Yosemite and LOST iPhoto altogether. And Photo is a far inferior product!!

If you upgrade, you are out of luck.
[doublepost=1467073804][/doublepost]
Does this apply now in 2016? If so, please let me know how to restore my old iPhoto!
[doublepost=1467074428][/doublepost]

How do I do this? Thanks!!

If you had purchased iPhoto on the App Store in the past OR upgraded iPhoto from a copy you had on DVD OR if you bought a Mac since they stopped distributing DVDs but before they dropped iPhoto, THEN it will appear in the App Store and you can re-download it.

iPhoto should not have been "lost" unless you did a clean install instead of an upgrade install of Yosemite and failed to keep a backup. If you have iPhoto.app on a backup (even on TimeMachine) you can restore it.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Was reminded via email today, that this old thread got new posts. Wow.

And browsing through it I was surprised I never mentioned apHUB, so far the best solution for former or existing Aperture users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.