Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I've almost milked my free trial, and I wanna buy it.

Should I buy boxed or just buy online and get a serial?

doesnt the boxed copy come with a juicy manual? or does aperture have that manual built in? (help)...

$450 aus
$250 aus with education discount :)

4 days left on my trial...

it's also making me want to splash out on a 30" ACD. perhaps in '07 hehe

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I've almost milked my free trial, and I wanna buy it.

Should I buy boxed or just buy online and get a serial?

doesnt the boxed copy come with a juicy manual? or does aperture have that manual built in? (help)...

$450 aus
$250 aus with education discount :)

4 days left on my trial...

it's also making me want to splash out on a 30" ACD. perhaps in '07 hehe
i would get the boxed, because i like to collect software boxes

you do know the diff between the retail vs education version, i take?

the manual is in a pdf

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Ive had a good look and cannot find a difference.

I can order it online on the australian apple store site for $249 AUS.. which is fine.

But. If I open aperture, and click "buy", it takes me to a site where i can buy a serial number online. but when i choose australia, the only price is the full price $449. (no education price).

So i can buy a boxed copy online for $249, but cant buy a serial number online for $249? stupid.

Means I'm gonna be buying the boxed copy, online, wait for shipping, etc.

It's a legit student purchase too.. not tryna be dodgy here...

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
to add more to this. my wife just went into our local apple store, (she is the student), only to be told that she cant have Aperture because she's a student, not a teacher/lecturer.

Only a teacher/lecturer can buy Aperture for the educational price, not students

wtf?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
to add more to this. my wife just went into our local apple store, (she is the student), only to be told that she cant have Aperture because she's a student, not a teacher/lecturer.

Only a teacher/lecturer can buy Aperture for the educational price, not students

wtf?

that's weird... i dont know if it's diff in Aus, but in US student can get edu discount too... i can even do that in apple store's website

i believe with edu version, does not allow you to do anything commercial with it, and you might not be able to upgrade it the way you can with retail.. aka you might not be able to upgrade to 2.0

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
i believe with edu version, does not allow you to do anything commercial with it, and you might not be able to upgrade it the way you can with retail.. aka you might not be able to upgrade to 2.0

Yes you are right you cannot upgrade the edu version of Apple software, other than that and maybe not using it for commercial purposes there is no difference between the two versions.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Okay, I rang the store, and was told that the to sell Aperture at edu pricing they are selling it at way below their cost, and they redeem it with apple.

Apple canned the redeeming, so there are many items they no longer sell with edu discount!

The store recommended I just buy it from the online shop instead. (to get edu discount)

sounds odd that you cant upgrade an edu copy of software but you can upgrade a full retail copy?

freeflydrew

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2004
ny
Apple doesn't normally give software education discounts in stores... the education version of aperture is exactly the same as regular retail.

MikeyHoi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
Phoenixville, PA & NY
I bought aperture about three months ago when I got my new MBP. At the retail store (King of Prussia, PA) they said they can't sell any software with the edu discount. They said just purchase it at the online store to get the discount. I did just that, and the education version does come with a real printed manual (not just pdf) and the tutorial dvd if that is of any use to you.
The only difference I have seen is the sticker on the box that said ‘not upgradeable’. However I was able to upgrade to version 1.5 about a month ago. I imagine the no upgrade restriction only applies to major upgrades such as version 2.0 whenever that is released. Hope this helps with your decision.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
FWIW, as a general rule of thumb, when the software is expensive, or when there's not a huge difference in cost, I *always* buy the box.

Basic reason is that I value having someone manufacture my "backup" copy for free, and given that it will be pressed (vs burned), will have a longer shelf life.

Plus, with the OEM packaging, its much less likely for me to accidentally misplace and lose :)

-hh

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
you do know the diff between the retail vs education version, i take?

the manual is in a pdf

I'm not sure if you're implying that the EDU version comes with the manual in a .pdf, but I bought the EDU version (boxed from the Apple store online) and it came with a paper manual/book, and instructions on DVD.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
Might be repeating what's already stated here, but in case this still helps, I just re-opened my Aperture 1.5 box and it has:

1. Hardcopy of 222-page Aperture Getting Started manual. This is the same manual as the PDF version in Aperture's Help menu. I don't know if it's the same edition, but it's definitely the same manual.

2. Installing Your Software booklet which includes the license keys.

3. Software coupons

4. AppleCare Service and Support Guide brochure.

5. Aperture Quick Reference brochure (basically has all the keyboard equivalents)

6. Aperture Installation DVD.

7. Aperture DVD Tutorial DVD, much, if not all, of which is the same as you find on the web site.

There's an empty optical disc sleeve in it. I don't remember if there's another disc I've misplaced, or if I accidentally put this sleeve in the box.

So, aside from the Installation DVD, you're missing everything else by buying the download version, though there are electronic versions of the major portions of it.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This applies to almost all EDU software through Apple:

1. SAME software and manuals (other than the startup screen)
2. Not available for discount in the retail stores (different packaging, more physical space needed in the store.)
3. Not available for upgrades to major releases (I bought the original EDU version of Aperture and have been able to get 1.2 and 1.5 for free via software update. Version 2.0 will cost me some $$.)
4. EDU prices are different b/c the "license" is discounted. Just like the "business" version of Office is more expensive b/c it is explicitly for-profit.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
there's a difference between retail and edu versions !?

do tell..

i am sure it is legal differences....

with the full you can use it for a business or make money off of it...

with the student one it is for learning etc and legally you cant use it and sell images you edited in it...if that makes sense.

no actual differences in software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.