Aperture: I have to keep enabling PhotoStream

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Sirolway, Dec 1, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Sometimes when I open Aperture, Photo Stream is not enabled - the Photos Stream project is there, but when I click there's no photos, only the welcome blurb asking me to enable it

It's not the end of the world - just means it has to re-download everything again (again!), but it's a pain

Any ideas?

2. macrumors member

I have the same problem too. This probably my 6-7th time I need to enable photostream and download it from scratch again.

3. macrumors newbie

is there any way to kee Photostream enabled all of the time?? Fed up having to enable it every time I restart Lion!!

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Arg. I had hoped the Aperture 3.2.2 might solve this problem, but alas no.
    I check that Photo Stream was working fine, updated to 3.2.2, restarted my MBP & there you go - Photo Stream is turned off...

5. macrumors newbie

same here!!

Come one Apple-sort this out!!!

6. macrumors newbie

Try cycling the view?

I'm having the same problem.

And when I re-enable, I just get some advice to go and take some photos on my iphone.

Then I noticed if I just press 'v' and cycle through the views, all my photos from my stream are there. I'm not sure if in the time it took me to discover this it had actually downloaded all the previews (all 1000!), or if they were just hiding.

I'll post again if I can repeat it.

7. macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I'm having the same problem. Very annoying. Some times the box will still be ticked after a reboot, but some other times it won't. So there doesn't seem to be a pattern there for me. Also, Aperture hangs relatively often. Certainly more often than any other application I use. So I'm not 100% happy with Aperture as it is right now. I, too, wish Apple would sort things out concerning this...

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Update - I don't seem to be getting this issue any more; PhotoStream is staying enabled in Aperture even after a MBP restart

Happy day

9. macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I definitely do still have this problem. Extremely annoying. Any others? Any suggestions to overcome this issue?

10. macrumors newbie

for those that are still having the issue, do you have spotlight disabled by chance? I had spotlight disabled via the mdutil command for an unrelated issue and I've been having the photostream problem after every reboot since I installed Aperture. Recently I discovered the spotlight problem (Backblaze) and turned spotlight back on, to my surprise my photostream is enabled and working in Aperture after every reboot. I have recreated the problem by disabling spotlight and cleared it again by enabling it.

11. macrumors newbie

it isn't spotlight

I have never disabled Spotlight, and Aperture keeps forgetting that PhotoStream should be enabled. Oddly, this only happens on one of my two Macs, both of which have the same OS, Aperture version, add-ons, and AppleID. Not only can I not figure out why PhotoStream keeps getting disabled on one Mac, I can't even figure out what's different between the two computers.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never disabled Spotliight either, although PhotoStream now seems to be behaving for me - even after a cold boot