Aperture Kern Protection Failure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HidenT, Apr 2, 2007.

1. HidenT macrumors newbie

I've been running Aperture 1.5 on my MacBookPro for months without issue, and now it crashes within 30 seconds of launching. In looking at the crash report I see a Kern Protection Failure. What might be wrong?

Thank you!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you updated to the latest version (1.5.2)?

3. HidenT thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I was running 1.5.2. I have uninstalled Aperture and reinstalled, but the same problem persists. I'm now running 1.5.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then it sounds like something in your library (probably an image is causing a decoder to fail). It'll be very very difficult to work out which though :(

5. HidenT thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it help to see the entire crash report? If so, how do I copy it? Traditional copying/pasting doesn't seem to work within the crash report.

6. HidenT thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have added that Aperture will stay running until I click on an image to view or edit. Then, it doesn't matter what image I'm looking at in my library, it crashes as part of processing the file.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like a problem with the decoder. I would try an Archive and Install of the OS. If you find one of these images in the Finder (you can navigate into the Aperture library using ctrl-click to Show Package Contents) you should be able to open it in Preview. If Preview also crashes for sure you need to reinstall

8. HidenT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I'm not exactly sure how to "archive and install the OS." What's the best way to do this?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Stick the OS or Restore DVD in and choose Archive and Install option. This will leave your user data untouched and most apps should continue to work fine although any apps that install portions into the OS folders will need to be reinstalled (Adobe apps and Apple Pro apps like Aperture for example).