Aperture on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Romulus, Nov 7, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

What's your experience?

Also what's your experience with iPhoto - i was having issues in the past so went away from it... seems once pictures went through an edit, it took like a second to bring them up while previewing album...

Anybody has any opinion on Picasa or Bibble?

2. macrumors 6502

I'm using both Aperture and iPhoto on my 13" MBA and 2GB RAM with no problems at all, no lags during / after editing.

3. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I'm using Lightroom which is very similiar to Aperture, with no significant lag or anything. 1.6/4/128.

4. macrumors regular

very slow for me

I bought the new MBA (13 inch, 4GB RAM and 256G HD) and I have to say my Aperture is very slow on my machine for some reason. It takes a long lag to "process" and it can't seem to upload from my card reader unless I do selected photos (such as 50 at a time). It will just keep spinning saying it's importing but it's not. I'm on the road and haven't had time to figure out what's wrong...maybe I need to reinstall Aperture??

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If Lightroom is one thing, it is not similar to Aperture. AP3, is a resource hog and I found it slow and a bit laggy on my 2.53Ghz where as LR was snappy©

btw, I still prefer aperture, its just not one of the most svelte applications ;)

6. macrumors regular

Aperture does use the GPU heavily, unlike LR. Aperture has also gotten MUCH faster with the 3.1 update in combination with 10.6.5.

I won't be using Aperture much on my 11.6/4/64 MBA when I get it, as I can stick primarily with Photo Mechanic while traveling (my only real use for a laptop). I'm sure it will do in a pinch, but I have a 2009 i7 iMac at home for the heavy processing work.

7. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I remember quite liking Adobe Lightroom, but I feel somewhat reluctant to change from Aperture 3. It just about runs OK on my MBP, but is by no means snappy.

I used to run LR on my 12" Powerbook. Good times.

8. macrumors demi-god

The SSD drive in my Air makes starting and using Aperture sooooo much faster than on my i7 MBP (that had a 7200RPM drive).