Aperture perfomance on PB G4. Instead of CS2?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by crazydreaming, Oct 22, 2006.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    I'm a student and I do a lot of photography. I really need to suck it up and spend the $400 it would be for me to get the CS2 suite. However, I just can't fit it in my budget right now, I do have access to CS2 if I really need it at the school digital photo lab. I was considering Aperture because it's only $150 for a student, and that will let me handle raw processing. Bridge is my favorite part of CS2. I have used Aperture before, it's a good program, but my concern with it is it's perfomance on my powerbook (1.5ghz 15" 1.5gb ram). Would the performance be too slow to work with? Any advice would be great.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Well it seems to meet the minimum specs. Although you may want to up the RAM to 2GB for smoother performance. I don't have a PowerBook, but I think it should be fine. After all it was/is a professional laptop and Aperture is a professional app. Perhaps someone who runs Aperture on a PowerBook can provide better insight. :)
  3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Yes, slow. Have you looked at Adobe "Elements" It has most of the features of the bigger Photoshop. Elements can use the plug ins for RAW photos and it runs well on the G4. (I have a G4 mini that has specs like your powerbook.)
  4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    What about using Lightroom temporarily, it'll run on older hardware. I'm using it now to test it on my 12" 1.5 Ghz G4.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, I was going to say test out Adobe Lightroom right now and spend that money on Elements. Then, when Lightroom is released, you can decide whether to purchase Aperture and move things over (yes yes, one last move), or to purchase Adobe Lightroom and stick with it.