Aperture question....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nospleen, Jul 23, 2006.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

I purchased Aperture and so far, so good. It is a great app and runs well my iMac. However, I am having some trouble with the whole 'project' thing. I like to keep my pics organized and I do so with keywords and smart albums. However, when I import pics, it always makes me start a new Project?? I would not care if I could import them, process, apply keywords, then delete the project. But, if I delete the project, then I lose all of the photos. Every time I import, I have to choose a new project?? Is this correct? I know I have to be missing something here... I would have hundreds of projects by the end of the year at the pace that I am going. The apple discussion forums seem to be down, so I could not look there.

Any help would be awesome!

2. shambolic macrumors regular

After you select Import from the menu (or connect your camera/card reader to start the automatic import), in the left hand projects pane, you can click on the project you want your photos to be imported into, rather than choose a new project.

For example, when I pull up Import in my copy of Aperture, I get the first screenshot attached below. But if I click on, say, "lightning attempts", then the "<--" pointer moves to that project to indicate that the photos will be imported there instead.

Once you've chosen the project to import into, then you can click on the Import All button in the main pane to actually bring the photos into Aperture.

I think this setting is "sticky" - so once you've imported into a selected project once, the next import will also default to going into that same existing project.

If you do end up, accidentally or deliberately, importing into a new project, and then want to move the photos, you should be able to just drag them into the correct project, and then once they've all been moved, (and only then), delete the old project.

Attached Files:

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ahahaahahahaha, I am a total nerd. I was trying to drag the slider to the appropriate project, but it wouldn't move. I didn't realize that I just had to click the album to move the slider. :eek: :p

Everything is now all nice and tidy. My OCC can rest well for another night...

Thanks a ton!!