Aperture Users - How Much RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andym172, Nov 22, 2006.

1. andym172 macrumors 6502

I've recently upgraded from a Dual 2.5 G5 to a 2.66 mac pro (& XT1900), and in doing so have imported approx 50,000 images into my Aperture library.

Even with 2GB RAM I've noticed the Mac Pro really struggles, with looooong lags. I'd wanted to wait until the Pro RAM prices came down a little, but it's now getting very tiresome.

So, I'm curious to know the amount of RAM people have found to be a happy medium?

4GB+ seems to be calling <cries my wallet> :)

2. cherfizzle macrumors regular

my imac has 1.5 GB RAM and aperture has never glitched or anything and i have soooo many photos.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

My iMac (1.9 GHz G5) has 1GB, I really should have more for Aperture and FCP but I don't feel like spending the money. Aperture runs fine while I'm listening to iTunes except when I do straightening, then it gets slow and iTunes skips a little.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds more like a CPU issue then RAM. I don't get that iTunes skipping issue on dual-core. *shrug*

5. islandman macrumors 6502

I have 2GB here and it's fine for me on a MacBook Pro (CD).

Kind of scary that you're having that type of performance. What size are those photos you're importing (on average)? Are they RAW or JPG? I'm curious.

6. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I should have mentioned - these are the RAW files from my Canon 5D (12.7mp). Average RAW file is approx 12mb per file, and 70mb+ if converted to TIFF.

I would say my libray is 90% JPEG though :)

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I went from 2GB to 4GB and Aperture responded very positively, no writing out to the HDD at any point which is good given I'm working with RAW images.

8. islandman macrumors 6502

Very odd. As another poster said, he's having better experience with 4GB. More than 60% of my photos in my Aperture library are RAW from a Canon 20D. Yes, they're smaller than your 5D, but they're still 8-10mb or so. 34,957 files as of now.

9. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

After a couple of days of constant lock-up's when using Aperture, I came to the end of my tether and wrote the following rant to Apple:

Has anybody else shared this experience?

10. petemc macrumors member

Really? I have a 30D and I've been using Aperture on my old MBP 1.8ghz 2gb ram machine. I used to believe that Aperture ran ok. It could be sluggish and sure 1.5 was definitely faster but since I sent my MBP back for a refund I've been using Windows on my A64 2ghz 1gb PC. Now what I've noticed is that iView MediaPro can handle over 50k of images without any issue on a lesser machine. It even runs fine on my PPC Mac Mini. RawShooter runs quickly too. Lesser machine yet faster workflow. Its made me re-evaluate Aperture. Going from the information on Barefeats it seems I'll never get the true performance I want from Aperture on my new MBP 2.16ghz 2gb C2D model. So my plan is to use iView MediaPro to manage my images as its fast and works on any machine I own. I will then use Photoshop or perhaps learn Capture 1 to edit my RAW's. Sure Aperture is nice but it just feels bloated some days. It shouldn't lag or slowdown when other similar apps have no issue on worse hardware.