Aperture vs iPhoto vs Lightroom

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I am currently using iPhoto to manage my digital photos (300), but I am planning to really get into photography this year, taking aircraft shots, scenery, and sports shots, and want something faster, and more advanced than iPhoto to manage my pictures (which will grow into the thousands).

I currently have iPhoto and Lightroom installed, but what is Aperture like? It looks like an excellent application. Can I download an Aperture trial?

Can I please have others thoughts on this?

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I have used iPhoto a lot, Aperture a lot, and Lightroom some. Right now Aperture is much better. Right now Lightroom is not as developed and has lots of issues, such as no crop. However, over time, I'm sure Lightroom will improve. Lightroom has potential, however it will probably not be up to the same level of Aperture for quite some time. If I were you, I would defiantly go with Aperture.

3. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Is there anywhere where I can download a trial of Aperture?

4. Dark macrumors regular

Sadly, you cant download a trial. That would be nice.
    I just started using Lightroom and yes, it definately has potential, and being that its free, im sticking with it for now. Im decently new to photography and its a pretty neat program.

I just messed around really quick with some colors and exposure and it looks pretty cool. Too bad photobucket makes my pics teeny weenie.

Attached Files:

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

To the OP:

I don't know that your computer meets the minimum requirements for Aperature in the first place. This is a reason why iPhoto and Lightroom are going to be more popular to most light-users who can't afford upgrades of systems. I hope that Apple decides to make iPhoto an equivalent to Lightroom as a direct competitor... so it is virtually free and works well. Aperature can be used for the more pro users.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It would run on the iMac G5. Apple have provided a compatibility checking program on the Aperture specs page, bottom right, so there's no need to guess.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Runs smooth on my PM G5 1.8Ghz, yet I haven't figured out how to do anything on it.

8. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

It will run on my iMac G5, I checked, and also ran the Aperture hardware tester.

iMac G5 17"
    2Ghz
    1GB RAM
    160GB

9. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Unless you got access to Adobe's playbook, I think you underestimate Adobe's ability to beat Apple at Adobe's game.