Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micke1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Hi I have got a new iMac 2013 and also plays the guitar.
So Im propably going to get a Apogee Duet 2 music interface.

Now its my understanding that I can/should also use the Apogee to play all sound for the iMac always since that gives much better sound than the iMac itself...I assume thats true but to be sure....is that true???
How do you guys do??

Also what speakers could I use for the prupose of connecting to the duet 2??

In sweden at least most computer speakers have a 3.5 mm lineout connector...But the Apogee duet 2 speaker outlets are 1/4 or 6.3 mm...
However I have seen adapters from 3.5 mm to dual 6.3 so could that be a good way to hookup the speakers I have today to an Apogee??

How have you done that have an Apogee??How have you connected your speakers and does it work good?
And again what kind of speakers do you use??
best regards Micael from Sweden:apple:

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
How have you done that have an Apogee??How have you connected your speakers and does it work good?
And again what kind of speakers do you use??
best regards Micael from Sweden:apple:

To get the most out of your duet 2 you should use professional near field monitors. I personally use a pair of CMS40's which are not cheap but sound great with the duet 2. You should avoid most computer speakers. You want speakers that are self powered or powered by a professional/hi-fi amp. Trying to plug in a set of speakers through 3.5mm plug is going to convoluted and self defeating. If you JUST want the duet for input then you may be better served by the ONE (if you only need one channel if for your guitar). I've been told that while it is sonically not 100% equal to the duet it is still very, very good--the preamps especially.

Won2won

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Duet 2

To get the most out of your duet 2 you should use professional near field monitors. I personally use a pair of CMS40's which are not cheap but sound great with the duet 2. You should avoid most computer speakers. You want speakers that are self powered or powered by a professional/hi-fi amp. Trying to plug in a set of speakers through 3.5mm plug is going to convoluted and self defeating. If you JUST want the duet for input then you may be better served by the ONE (if you only need one channel if for your guitar). I've been told that while it is sonically not 100% equal to the duet it is still very, very good--the preamps especially.

Hi,
Aside from using the duet for vocals and recording live instruments, will the duet enhance the quality of the beat by itself? If I were to use a beat that I made in logic pro 9, will the duet also enhance my beat as well as the vocals and live instruments. I want to get the duet but I will only be using it for vocals, however I want to focus on enhancing the quality of the beat itself, will duet be good for this?

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Hi,
Aside from using the duet for vocals and recording live instruments, will the duet enhance the quality of the beat by itself? If I were to use a beat that I made in logic pro 9, will the duet also enhance my beat as well as the vocals and live instruments. I want to get the duet but I will only be using it for vocals, however I want to focus on enhancing the quality of the beat itself, will duet be good for this?

In a word, no. The duet is strictly a high quality device for getting sound into and out of your Mac. It may make all the sound you hear in Logic (and every other program) sound better coming from you computer then it sounded before, but the duet itself will do nothing to change or enhance the permanent nature of your sound.

What makes devices like the duet so important is that they give, the creator, a better understanding of what you are creating so you can make creative decisions with more confidence. However, they do not do the creative work for you. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.