Apogee Duet & FW card

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mattww, Nov 13, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2008
    I currently have a Power Mac G5 but will upgrade to a Mac Pro sometime next year - if for any reason Apple don't keep FireWire (I imagine they will likely keep the 800 port at least) does the Duet work OK with PCI-Express cards? I don't like the idea of buying one and having to switch to a USB solution.

On a second note I assume with the duet I can set it as the input source just in my audio applications and keep my Optical out set for DVDs/iTunes and everyday audio along with my iSight mic for iChat?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003
    If they get rid of FW400, I'd imagine they'd get 3 extra FW800 ports in there to replace the current 400s.
    So you'd only need to purchase a new cable.

There's absolutely no way they'll only have 1 FW and 4 USB ports on a Mac Pro. They'd loose too many customers from the pro market.
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2007
    The Apple doesn't care. They do what they want and nobody can't convince them to behave differently. As an example, there're so many unhappy customers with a glossy screen on new macbook pro. Do you think they will take it into consideration? The same's happening with the firewire ports.
    If tomorrow a new Mac Pro hits the market with no Firewire ports at all, I wouldn't be supprised.
    Unfortunately there's no alternative to Mac. No way I'm going back to f..king Vista