Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackzor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hi I am pretty new to recording. I need an interface and I'm really considering the Apogee Duet, but I have a couple questions.

Firstly, I'm not even really that familiar with what an interface is. I guess it takes the place of a soundcard and allows you to have more inputs when recording. Is that all?

How good is the Apogee Duet at recording drums? The number of outputs it has is not really a problem for me because I know a pretty good technique for recording drums with just 2 mics. So will it sound alright with the Apogee?

Also (this is a really newbie question) since you can record 2 instruments at a time with the Duet does that mean you will be recording 2 tracks at a time? I will probably be using garageband. So if I'm recording drums with 2 mics will I be able to adjust the volume of each mics with the 2 tracks after I record?

Finally, my setup for recording will be as follows: My macbook, apogee duet, and a couple shure mics. Is there anything else I need? I heard people say u need a preamp.. but I'm going to be recording guitar and keyboard by micing my amp so do I really need one?

Thanks a lot for any help and I'm sorry I am so new at this.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Firstly, I'm not even really that familiar with what an interface is. I guess it takes the place of a soundcard and allows you to have more inputs when recording. Is that all?

Well, it will allow you two simultaneous inputs and more input types, but what you're really paying for is Apogee's killer AD conversion and some decent preamps.

How good is the Apogee Duet at recording drums? The number of outputs it has is not really a problem for me because I know a pretty good technique for recording drums with just 2 mics. So will it sound alright with the Apogee?

I don't know about drums specifically, but I think overall the Duet is about the best sounding interface in its price range.

Also (this is a really newbie question) since you can record 2 instruments at a time with the Duet does that mean you will be recording 2 tracks at a time? I will probably be using garageband. So if I'm recording drums with 2 mics will I be able to adjust the volume of each mics with the 2 tracks after I record?

You can record two tracks at a time, max, right into Garageband and mix later.

Finally, my setup for recording will be as follows: My macbook, apogee duet, and a couple shure mics. Is there anything else I need? I heard people say u need a preamp.. but I'm going to be recording guitar and keyboard by micing my amp so do I really need one?

You don't need a preamp. For what it is, the Duet's preamps sound really good. But they won't sound as good as a $1000 preamp, although you could use pre's in conjunction with the Duet if you wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.