App Background Refresh does the opposite for me (help)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by madeirabhoy, Sep 23, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

im really confused by this. it seems like apple has advertised a feature that was always there, and removed it at the same time.

According to the advertising, ios 7 has a new feature App Background Refresh, where apps can update themselves and get new content when not at the forefront.

this isnt new. my daily newspaper and monthly magazines used to download happily in the background under ios 6.

now that they've promised this as a feature, it no longer does it.

i go into settings and the tickbox is ticked for it, but whenever i open my daily record app, i then have to twiddle my fingers for 5 minutes whilst it downloads. it wont even download when the ipad is on but that app isnt at te forefront, whereas under ios 6, the thing could be asleep with another app at the forefront and i'd wake up to my newspaper.

very annoying.

2. macrumors 68030

I know some things, such as subscribed calendars, need to be re-added in order to work properly. Have you tried logging out then back in (or deleting and re-installing) the apps in question? Might be worth a shot.

3. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Is it possible the app (or apps) in question haven't yet been updated for iOS 7?

4. macrumors regular

Does anyone know if any third party alarms make use of this yet? Would seem the best type of app to use for this.

5. macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I noticed Pocket (for me anyways) isn't working correctly. Everytime it opens I see "downloading" at the top. It's been updated for iOS 7 and uses background app refresh.

6. macrumors 6502

Background refresh for pocket and Evernote started working perfectly when I Realized I can't force close them. If you let them exist in the background, they update.

My nytimes app loads perfectly every morning. I had to do a reinstall though. And they did release an iOS 7 version.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

but thats my point, under ios 6 they did this already, so apple touts it as a new feature and its not. under ios 7 it doesnt work for this app, ill try deleting and reinstalling

8. macrumors 68020

In iOS 6 it worked only for certain newsstand apps that opted to support it. Now, it's open to all apps if the developers want to use it. iOS 6’s version of this seemed to have been a trial run for this technology.

Depends really on your definition of 'new' but this is a new service for app developers to utilise.

9. macrumors G3

Has that app been updated for iOS7?